How to change steering hose in 2002 Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty2002A

Reaction score
Hi, I have a leak on the steering hose in my 2002 jeep liberty. I searched everywhere but I can't figure it out how I can do the replacement. Does anyone know if I have to remove front grille, lights, etc?

Also, in the image I provide...I don't know what is the piece marked with "?". it is attached to the hose...
Any directions highly appreciated
Thank you
d

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Which hose? The high pressure hose? Here's roughly what I did on my 05:
1. Remove mech fan/efan/shroud (take out the 6 upper radiator support bolts, 10mm, plus 2 fan shroud bolts, 10mm)
2. Remove grill (just undo the tabs at the top and it should pull off)
3. Remove headlight
Here's where it gets interesting. You can either drill out the rivets to remove the whole radiator support or cut a hole out under the headlight. I cut a patch out under the headlight to get access to those bolts and then put the patch back in with silicone.
4. Unbolt HP line bracket
5. Unscrew it from reservoir (16 or 18mm flare nut wrench)
6. Unscrew it from the rack (16 or 18mm flare nut wrench)
7. Put Mopar O rings on new line (I used an Edelmann line, it's fine)
8. Reassemble
9. Jack up the Jeep, full reservoir to full line
10. Do 15-20 turns , near lock to lock, check the level every now and then
11. Start Jeep, top off as it ***** it down
12. Do some more turns and top off, let idle with the cap off for a few minutes. Keep checking the level over the next few days.

If you're replacing the cooler, same thing except you don't have to cut anything. If you use a Dorman cooler, I'd recommend adding a hose clamp where each hose connects to the cooler.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind that the early 2002 KJs did not come shipped with the red ATF +4 fluid but with a clear Mopar Power Steering fluid. Later 2002 KJs came out with the red stuff and the Dealers were instructed to drain and flush out the old clear Mopar fluid and replace with ATF +4 fluid.....the two fluids must not be mixed!

My Export 2002 CRD came out with the clear Mopar Fluid....turns darker after use and the local Dealers knew nothing about this issue.

So a while back I bought a large bottle of the Mopar Power Steering Fluid and using a Turkey baster sucked the Fluid Reservoir dry and topped up with Mopar fluid....repeated this process every few weeks until my fluid was clear again.

So just make sure you do not end up with a mixture of the two fluids!

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS hoses are always a pain in the ****(and messy). Regardless of make, year model, or country of origin. Just schedule a day, clothes you don't mind staining, and a patient assistant(if possible). Or hire it done.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all probably why the PO or whoever, didn't install that bracket near the headlight on the replacement in th 05 I have. :favorites68:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What I don't get though is that the bracket isn't a pain, it's the bolts and that's why you cut, so once you bolt it's easy to take out and get the new one in, so no idea why they wouldn't have put a new one in if they got the old one out.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don't get though is that the bracket isn't a pain, it's the bolts and that's why you cut, so once you bolt it's easy to take out and get the new one in, so no idea why they wouldn't have put a new one in if they got the old one out.

I think this was a super quick flip for the dealer. I think they just wanted it gone without doing anything to it. This is based on how much they came down on the price after my test drive and pointing out all the little things. I can tell now that this thing must have sat for long periods of time. Carfax seems to corroborate this based on service records. Still have to deal with the other front UCA and a creaky when cold suspension...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think this was a super quick flip for the dealer. I think they just wanted it gone without doing anything to it. This is based on how much they came down on the price after my test drive and pointing out all the little things. I can tell now that this thing must have sat for long periods of time. Carfax seems to corroborate this based on service records. Still have to deal with the other front UCA and a creaky when cold suspension...

For the creakyness, I'm thinking sway bar bushings or upper shock mounts.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check to see if I still have an extra bracket lying around.
I remember that the replacement part I ordered came with one.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tis the season to change your power steering hose.

flex head ratchet wrenches in metric are also a nice addition to get at that bracket the HP hose is attached to. I only put one back as it was much easier for the next time.

I didn't remove radiator shroud but did not have HD cooling and have smaller hands. Take off front grill and come in under headlight if you can.

Latest posts

Members online