How bad is this? Moisture in oil.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneOK

Reaction score
The last oil change was on the first cold day of the year. At that time I noticed quite a bit of moisture coming from the exhaust and some buildup on the filler cap.

I went to the auto parts store and loaned some tools. I checked compression, pressurized the coolant system, and checked the coolant system for carbon monoxide. I cleaned the filler cap off, that was 3k miles ago.

The jeep is an 06 and has about 170k on it. Today I noticed this.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Or just eliminate the system all together. Just put breathers on each valve cover and cap off the intake and fill tube.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only normal with short trip KJs
Take it out and run it more than a few slow miles. None of mine have ever had that issue, but I make sure to get them good and warmed up, short trips are a killer for moisture

LaneOK

Reaction score
My wife commutes in this jeep. 65 miles a day 5 days a week. All highway. I wouldn't really call it a short tripper.

I guess I will look into the service bulletin or eliminating the PCV system. Thanks for the responses, I have been worrying about this.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way to fix that problem is to remove the baffle from the oil filler neck, and also make sure your PCV valve is working.

deboy922

Reaction score
The way to fix that problem is to remove the baffle from the oil filler neck, and also make sure your PCV valve is working.

Do you guys remove the baffle and throw it away? Or remove the baffle, clean it, and re-install the baffle?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The baffle is junk, Chrysler even told a tech I know just to remove the baffle. I did and it stopped the moisture problem. I would just throw the baffle in the garbage.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect for short trippers the baffle ends up being an extra spot for condensation to send moisture back into the oil rather than sucking moisture vapour back into combustion

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just keep up to date on you oil maintenance.. or remove the baffle, your choice ultimately. But mine ends up looking worse than this decently often and I've got 35k more than you.. and it started at least 30k miles before where you currently sit.

LaneOK

Reaction score
Been using mobile 1 conventional as long as I've had it. Checked the PCV valve and all the lines. Everything seems to be clear and working. The sponge in the air box was in pretty bad shape though.

Here ya go:
You must be registered for see images attach

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me, been there.. for awhile. Other members that posted such as LibertyTC and uss2defiant have had the problem equally as bad as well.. Extremely common for these..
I run conventional valvoline, so seems us using Dino oil are the ones running into this problem more frequently.

Attachments

• 20150104_143817.jpg
    20150104_143817.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 8
  • 20150104_143728.jpg
    20150104_143728.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 8

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Mobil 1 full synthetic, and I run either 10W-40 or 15W-50. The reason I run the higher weight is to protect the engine better and I also do not care if it hurts my MPG.