Hitch Mount Bike Carrier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a hitch mount bike carrier that'll fit the libby? I'd need it to hold at least two bikes.

I'd really prefer a hitch mount over a spare tire mount. I am concerned that the hitch mounted type won't work due to the spare being there. If there isn't a rack that'll work, is there some type of extender that I can add to a regular hitch mount bike rack to extend it out from the vehicle past the spare?

Thanks!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started checking around online - ent to google and typed in "hitch extension"...it looks like there are a few. I also thought it was cool - they have some where it'll allow you to use a hitch bike rack and still have a receiver for a trailer. I am sure the leverage decreases your tongue weight capacity quite a bit.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt tow much of anything with an extension like that. Maybe a small trailer with a 4wheeler on it but nothing of any size..

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree - really, I am not even looking to do that, I just want to put on a regular old hitch mount bike rack.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Thule fold down 2 and 4 bike hitch rack fits just fine. With the OEM hitch though the rear door will not swing all the way open as the fixed, vertical part of the carrier hit the tire.

I had planned to build an adapter that would drop a second reciever just below the stock one but I may try flipping the spare carrier 180 degrees first to see if that lets it clear. There is about a 1" clearance issue.

So far it really hasn't been a problem for me in reality as I can generally reach anything in the far back through the flipper or by folding down a back seat. I really do like the Thule rack though.

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch extensions that were mentioned would work perfectly for bicycle racks and most I have seen were designed for that purpose. However, DO NOT try to tow a trailer with a hitch extension. I believe they say to only mount like 150 lbs on an extension. You could also go for the roof way with the rails.

Argent

Reaction score
Roof mounted I'd do (I have a nice Yakima rig) but I'd be more concerned with vehicle height at that point and clearance issues.....

mikej

Reaction score
UPDATE

The bad news:

Well the company that I ordered the Thule rack from contacted me and informed me that that rack will not fit my liberty. They indicated that the distance between the hitch pin hole to the upright support arm was only 8 inches which is not enough for our libertys. I went out and confirmed this measurement to be correct. We need at least 10 inches to clear the spare tire. So I thanked them for their honesty and candor and continued shopping.

The good news (hopefully):

My wife did some Internet research and found a carrier made specifically for vehicles with rear mounted spare tires. Apparently Allen makes the perfect hitch-mounted bike rack for vehicles like ours that have a rear mounted spare tire:

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/69A3141A0A0.aspx

In fact, according to the reviews that have been posted for this bike rack it appears that they actually extended the rack even more than we would really need. But it looks like Allen recommends simply re-drilling new holes if you want to move the bike rack closer to the car.

Again, I will let you know how it goes...

Mike

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mike. Sounds like a good bike rack. The other option is I have seen extensions online for anywhere from $30-$50 shipped. Use that and a standard rack.

I'm curious to know how a woman's bike would mount on this. I'd need it to mount my wife's bike as well. I'll have to read some reviews tonight and see how people have done it. Not a bad price for a 4 bike rack. I was originally thinking about getting a 2 bike unit, but 4 would probably be better - as soon as I buy a two, I'll have a situation where I'll need to move 4.

mikej

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mike. Sounds like a good bike rack. The other option is I have seen extensions online for anywhere from $30-$50 shipped. Use that and a standard rack.

You can choose to use hitch extenders to get the rack beyond the spare tire, however there may be a catch. At the first place I tried to buy the Thule rack they informed me that if I used a hitch extender with the Thule rack it voided the warranty! So you need to check on this.

I have seen a number of posts here on this forum that other folks have used hitch extenders with their bike racks with no problem. So it certainly is an option, but you may want to check with your vendor to make sure they will honor the warranty on the bike rack if you do decide to go this route.

I'm curious to know how a woman's bike would mount on this. I'd need it to mount my wife's bike as well. I'll have to read some reviews tonight and see how people have done it. Not a bad price for a 4 bike rack. I was originally thinking about getting a 2 bike unit, but 4 would probably be better - as soon as I buy a two, I'll have a situation where I'll need to move 4.

They actually sell an add-on item for just this purpose (and since my wife's bike will be one of the bikes carried on our rack I purchased one along with the rack:

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/69A3160A0A0.aspx

Here is a different Thule unit that has a handy video showing how you actually install it on the bike:

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-982.html

Hope that helps!

Mike

mikej

Reaction score
UPDATE

Just recieved the Allen rack today. It certainly has enough room to clear our spare.

Here are pix of it installed in the stock hitch pin holes to my DrawTite receiver:

You must be registered for see images

Next I pushed the rack all the way in as far as it would go and it's still has room to clear the spare (though not with enough clearance for my tastes so I will move it out some before drilling new holes):

I exchanged a few emails with Allen and they said that it would be no problem to drill some holes to realign the rack closer to the vehicle. With respect to violating the warranty by drilling holes, they had this to say:

"Just make sure that you drill a hole using a 1/2" drill (not a 5/8"). Make sure that the hole is centered vertically. What would not be covered by our warranty is if you make a mistake on the hole or if it is the incorrect size."

Have fun!

Mike

Last edited: