Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

KJ General Discussion

Hitch Mount Bike Carrier?

This is a discussion on Hitch Mount Bike Carrier? within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Does anyone know of a hitch mount bike carrier that'll fit the libby? ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hitch Mount Bike Carrier?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Does anyone know of a hitch mount bike carrier that'll fit the libby? I'd need it to hold at least two bikes.

I'd really prefer a hitch mount over a spare tire mount. I am concerned that the hitch mounted type won't work due to the spare being there. If there isn't a rack that'll work, is there some type of extender that I can add to a regular hitch mount bike rack to extend it out from the vehicle past the spare?

Thanks!
Electronics: 10" Kappa Perfect/Lanzar Vibe 211, 2006 EVIC, Midland 75-822 w/3' Firefly
Suspension: OME 926/947 w/extras, Rancho RSX, 245/75-16 Cooper Discoverer AT3
Atrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Argent Send a message via MSN to Argent Send a message via Yahoo to Argent

Tagging along for information - as I'll be asking the same question when I get my KJ
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I started checking around online - ent to google and typed in "hitch extension"...it looks like there are a few. I also thought it was cool - they have some where it'll allow you to use a hitch bike rack and still have a receiver for a trailer. I am sure the leverage decreases your tongue weight capacity quite a bit.
Electronics: 10" Kappa Perfect/Lanzar Vibe 211, 2006 EVIC, Midland 75-822 w/3' Firefly
Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldnt tow much of anything with an extension like that. Maybe a small trailer with a 4wheeler on it but nothing of any size..
-OME/Rustys Lift
-Powertrax No-slip
-Flowmaster 50 Series SUV
-245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS
Jeepsters Gallery
JeepJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Totally agree - really, I am not even looking to do that, I just want to put on a regular old hitch mount bike rack.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

The Thule fold down 2 and 4 bike hitch rack fits just fine. With the OEM hitch though the rear door will not swing all the way open as the fixed, vertical part of the carrier hit the tire.

I had planned to build an adapter that would drop a second reciever just below the stock one but I may try flipping the spare carrier 180 degrees first to see if that lets it clear. There is about a 1" clearance issue.

So far it really hasn't been a problem for me in reality as I can generally reach anything in the far back through the flipper or by folding down a back seat. I really do like the Thule rack though.

'06 CRD Limited
Lt Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats, Yakima Bars, MOPAR skids, Mag-Lite, Prodigy Brake Control

http://cowcatcher.googlepages.com/home

Last edited by cowcatcher; 06-29-2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling error
cowcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

The hitch extensions that were mentioned would work perfectly for bicycle racks and most I have seen were designed for that purpose. However, DO NOT try to tow a trailer with a hitch extension. I believe they say to only mount like 150 lbs on an extension. You could also go for the roof way with the rails.
desertkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Argent Send a message via MSN to Argent Send a message via Yahoo to Argent

Roof mounted I'd do (I have a nice Yakima rig) but I'd be more concerned with vehicle height at that point and clearance issues.....
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just ordered the Thule 958 last night.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-...bike-rack.html

I'll let you know how it goes when I get it...

Mike
mikej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
UPDATE

The bad news:

Well the company that I ordered the Thule rack from contacted me and informed me that that rack will not fit my liberty. They indicated that the distance between the hitch pin hole to the upright support arm was only 8 inches which is not enough for our libertys. I went out and confirmed this measurement to be correct. We need at least 10 inches to clear the spare tire. So I thanked them for their honesty and candor and continued shopping.

The good news (hopefully):

My wife did some Internet research and found a carrier made specifically for vehicles with rear mounted spare tires. Apparently Allen makes the perfect hitch-mounted bike rack for vehicles like ours that have a rear mounted spare tire:

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/69A3141A0A0.aspx

In fact, according to the reviews that have been posted for this bike rack it appears that they actually extended the rack even more than we would really need. But it looks like Allen recommends simply re-drilling new holes if you want to move the bike rack closer to the car.

Again, I will let you know how it goes...

Mike
mikej is offline   Reply With Quote