Help to remove the front drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I need to remove the front drive shaft on my Jeep KJ 3.7 to rebuild the CV joint on rear part, but it's impossible for me to remove it because the drive shaft is blocked by the exaust pipe on left side and the transfert case support.

Can you help me please ?

Thanks.
Ludo

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you remove all bolts on both ends, pull the rear end of the drive shaft out first. Move that end up, into the open space between the transfer case and the bottom of the Jeep. That should give you enough wiggle room to pull the front end out.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you remove all bolts on both ends, pull the rear end of the drive shaft out first. Move that end up, into the open space between the transfer case and the bottom of the Jeep. That should give you enough wiggle room to pull the front end out.

^ What he said.

Some are easier than others... like an '03 auto takes more wrestling than an '05 manual. Exhaust pipe and crossmember change between the years.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget to compress the driveshaft in so it clears in the front. Otherwise what’s been said already. They can be a bit of a pain but they do come out without removing anything.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this today. It really wasn't bad at all. I used a large flathead screwdriver to pop the rear part loose after everything was unbolted. Like already said just move the rear part up into that small empty space and pull back to pop the front part out. After that you just pull the entire shaft forward and out.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a wobble extension with the proper socket an was able to remove all the bolts without turning the drive shaft. Very easy job in my book.

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driveshaft CV Rebuild

Hope you are not using a Dorman CV Joint. I recently had one last 5 miles before it fused itself together. Crock Auto refunded me, but I had to go without a front driveshaft for a couple of weeks while I waited for an OEM unit. I haven't been having much luck with Asian parts lately.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Renegade that I also had problems removing the drive shaft...
You need to remove the 2WD/4WD bracket above the drive shaft...and move it out of the way ...
You will then have room to move the rear of the drive shaft UP and drop the front of the drive shaft...
When I got the 06 it was a salvage car and had a fire in that location burning up the wiring harness and sensors... I couldn't get the drive shaft out UNTIL I removed that bracket... I gained access to the bolts through the opening where the 2WD/4WD lever was mounted to the floor tunnel (everything there was melted)...At the local pull-a-part I pulled the center console, the 2WD/4WD lever... It didn't take very long to do..
Dave

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

I managed to get out the front drive shaft and fix it. Thanks to All

Latest posts

Members online