Help getting Crank Sensor out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again.

In search of fixing the intermittent misfire and associated code, I purchased the Cam Sensor and Crank Sensor upon recommendation here. I ordered Mopar, of course. I've already installed the Cam Sensor, it was a breeze.

I went to install the Crank Sensor next, it didn't go as well. For the most part, everything went fine. I unclipped the harness, and removed the bolt holding it in place. After this, I couldn't get the Sensor to come out. I don't know if it just takes more force and I just need to manhandle it out or if there was some trick with getting it out. I didn't want to force it and break anything so I figured I would ask the experts. Please let me know if there is some special key to getting the sensor out, or if I just need to give it another try with more force.

Thanks!

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Penetrating oil channel locks and a lot of twisting and pulling, twisting and pulling. It took be over an hour to change mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They get rust jacked in. That's why they go bad. They get squized by the rust. And it cracks the sensor housing. Twisting it back and forth will start to break up that rust. The penetrating oil will help break up and wash the rust away. I'd do an oil change afterwards.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers!

Not sure if it makes any difference or not, but once I had the bolt out, the sensor would freely twist from side to side. I just can't get it to slide out (granted I didn't put much effort into it, I was about to go somewhere and didn't want to break anything). So I just put it back together for now til I had a better answer. I wasn't sure if it had to be twisted to a specific position or something to release. I guess I'll just get back after it in a little bit and stick with it to see if it will wiggle loose.

D'oh, I just did an oil change. If I would have known that I would have waited to change it out til after I was done. Oh well, money well spent to keep the motor healthy.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also saw another post mentioning something about taking the Jeep to have a 'relearn program' done on it after you change out the Crank Sensor, is this true? I guess I need to hold off for the time being until I get all of the facts. I don't want to accidentally mess something up.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. It's plug and play. No reprograming needed

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I managed to get it out without too much of a fight today. Got it swapped out with the new one. I don't know if it's my imagination or just wishful thinking, but it seems like the Jeep is running smoother now. The idle seems a lot more smooth and consistent, so hopefully that will be the cure for the CEL. All I can do now is drive it and see if it comes back or not (crosses fingers).

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a little bit of the oil off of the old sensor and put a light coat around the new sensor's o-ring. Hopefully this is sufficient?