Help!!! can't get Jeep to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LadyLiberty86

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I bought a 2002 jeep Liberty Sport and it was driving fine only shut off on me one time but started right back up. Well on 7/19 I was backing out of my parents drive way to go home and it shut off completely and wouldnt start with out pumping the gas. I had my jeep towed home and started to work on it. I am not, nore have I ever been throwing any codes, nope nada zip....wtf..... ok so I can't start the car unless I pump the gas when starting it, car doesn't stay on unless gas is pressed, when car is on it runs so rough and shakes like there is no tomorrow. I am not blowing smoke out the back or leaking anything, here is a list of stuff I have fixed or replaced. I have checked the battery, and that is good, I have replaced spark plugs, replaced cam shaft sensor, replaced cranck shaft sensore, replaced idle control valve, replaced an injector, repleced fuel pump, and replaced, replaced fuel filter, replaced my Ecu. If someone could help me I would really appreciate it, bc I'm to my end of my rope, and I need my car. PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited:

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking fuel filter at first but you changed that, throttle postion sensor?

rangertojeep

Reaction score
have you checked the intake manifold vacuum lines, even if there is a small crack in the lines it could cause the above mentioned issue. i would check the vacuum line on the passenger side on the rear of the engine connecting to the intake manifold, it tends to tear or crack vertically making it hard to see but can leak horribly. hope this is the problem if so easy 5 dollar fix!! best of luck

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the battery,#1 cause of this issue.

A battery can test good but still be bad and a stock '02 KJ battery is to small for that system anyways.Cut the battery tray(or buy one for a '05 KJ) and install a group 34 battery.

A vacuum leak will not cause your issue and pumping the gas pedal does nothing for a fuel injected engine.Holding the gas pedal to the floor makes the PCM go into flood mode which cuts off the injectors but pumping the pedal does nothing.