Harmonic balancer removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

enj

Reaction score
Just bought my first Jeep a few weeks ago and hoping I can get a little assistance. It's a 2002 Liberty w/the 3.7L and has unfortunately suffered from fallen rocker syndrome. Intake rocker on #2 cylinder fell off and broke the lifter guide right off the head. I have most of the engine torn down, but I've run into an issue where I can't seem to get the balancer bolt out of the crankshaft. I've tried an impact with no luck and can't seem to find a good place to hold it from turning while trying to use a breaker bar. Any of you more experienced possibly have a tip/trick to holding the balancer to get this bolt out? From the research I've done, it does appear that the bolt is standard, right hand thread.? Thanks in advance.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolt is standard thread. So righty tighty lefty loosey. Anyways. I have always used an impact to pop it out (at least on my 4.7 v8) when re-installing I used chain through the balancer to the sway bar to keep it from spinning while I torqued it. Same should work in reverse with the impact too.

enj

Reaction score
I'll give the chain trick a shot. Maybe my impact gun just doesn't have enough left anymore. Might be a good to to replace it.

enj

Reaction score
For reference, this is what's caused me to rip the engine apart. Previous owner obviously didn't take very good care.
You must be registered for see images
[/url][/IMG]

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Previous owner obviously didn't take very good care.
[

Wow look at all the gunk inside..Shameful ! :emotions34:
There is a reason why you do a frequent filter &...
61412[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• b8IzSEM.gif
    b8IzSEM.gif
    226.5 KB · Views: 0

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a long flat bar (from a belt tensioner tool) through the "spokes" in the balancer and then wedged it against the right side inner fender. Then used a 2 foot breaker bar with the appropriate socket to loosen the bolt. I did the opposite to torque it when done.

enj

Reaction score
Appreciate the tips. Won't be able to get back at it until next weekend, but will report back on progress.

enj

Reaction score
Bought a new impact and the bolt came right out. Working on it outside and the weather has been awful up here in New England, so haven't had much progress until today. Got the passenger side head off finally and thankfully the pistons all look good. On to the driver's side tomorrow and hopefully start getting it back together next weekend.

enj

Reaction score
Hits just keep on coming with this thing. Heads are finally both off. Crawled underneath and the oil pan is nearly rusted through. Already have a new one, but this doesn't look like it's going to be a fun job at all. Picked up an engine support bar, hoping I can raise it enough with the heads off to slide the pan past the cross member.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing against you as you bought it used, but it amazed me that an oil pan can rust out. My KJ is 14 years old and has 107K miles on it. The oil pan and transmission pan are still shiny....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Winter & road salts eat stuff bad. We've seen some real cancer/rusted pans in the forums.
If you want parts to last, got to keep it clean, & throw some paint on it for extra protection.
61570[/ATTACH]"]

Even with a new oil pan, I'd give a few more coats of rust paint externally before installing it.
Salt *****! :emotions34:

Attachments

• ymsbAao.jpg
    ymsbAao.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine covers itself in oil, Jeep really did a good job with the self rust proofing. :D

enj

Reaction score
Nothing against you as you bought it used, but it amazed me that an oil pan can rust out. My KJ is 14 years old and has 107K miles on it. The oil pan and transmission pan are still shiny....

It's not completely rusted through to where it's leaking, but while I'm removing it to make sure the pickup screen isn't full of gunk like the passenger head was, I may as well replace it. I'll post up some pics when I get it off.

enj

Reaction score
Here's what made me go ahead and replace the oil pan:

enj

Reaction score
Finally got it all back together and on the road. What a long job only being able to work on it on weekends.