grind under acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed out both my rear wheel bearings hoping my griding noise would completely go away. It did get better, one was pretty bad, but it made this other noise much more obvious to hear. When in the rear diff, I did see some glitter in the fluid, but the gearset did not look worn.

The noise is stronger while accelerating. Off throttle it gets quieter, but is still present. I've dragged the brakes, checked the parking brake, neither are near the end of their lives. It doesn't change while turning. Anyone have ANY ideas or insights? Front pinion bearing(hopefully not)?

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sound is only when under a load? If it is then it could be the rear pinion bearing. If coasting and noise is more audible signs could point to front pinion bearing. Load/Unload the bearings by turning Right/Left sharply while driving and see if noise increases/decreases and it could potentially help pinpoint what exactly the issue is.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it changes the pitch of the grinding noise. It doesn't go away, just different pitch. This is while holding the throttle steady or accelerating. Off throttle, it's too light to really hear

Franky

Reaction score
Time for new front sruts - what to do ?

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L 4×4
With 240.000 miles on it & other than front end sagging & struts worn out
Entire vehicle is solid & runs excellent.
Original owner took good care of it
and gave. me all service records
from my familys Jeep dealership
where he bought it new .

I can puscase a new set of TJM front HD 2.5" lift springs for $57.00 shipped
Also buying Bilstein front cartridges

Question is : With these 700 ? pound. front springs ,
Do i have to replace the stock rear springs at the same time ?
Or can i get away with just the Fronts for now . Money is an issue !
I'm fairly sure it will level out the front end & make the front end feel better
And look better.
The big questions are
Safety - Handling balance-Ride- etc.?

Thanks , im looking for advice.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question is : Why would you post in a 3 year old thread that has nothing to do with what you are asking?

My advice is to start your own thread

Latest posts

Members online