Grease gun attachment for U joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Got greasable u joints back in the spring, had a shop install them in the driveshaft and they greased them there. I went to grease them yesterday and I can't get my grease gun to fit on the zerks before it hits the yokes of the driveshaft. What's the trick?

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the zerk facing down on the rear one? By the looks of the angle on mine it should give move room, the one in front may need to point up to get into it. I hope they put 90 degree zerks on and not 45 degree ones

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen some that you just spin the driveshaft around some and you can access it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it has the 45 or 90 degree fittings. I think the fittings come straight out. Can't check it now but will later. Does the spacing between the two yokes change as it rotated? I'm thinking about flexing it out or something too.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is more room to get a grease gun in on my rear u joint if a zerk pointed straight down because of the angle of the driveshaft. I don't have a lift and a lift would make the angle more extreme.
I just did the oil change and looked, looks like my u joints might be factory yet but at 95k it isn't impossible

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it has the 45 or 90 degree fittings. I think the fittings come straight out. Can't check it now but will later. Does the spacing between the two yokes change as it rotated? I'm thinking about flexing it out or something too.

Yes

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Will that needle type work on a zerk pretty well? I've never used that type, used to the normal ones that just snap on and off.

I'm going to play around tomorrow night and see if I can get it orientated right to use the normal fitting.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will that needle type work on a zerk pretty well? I've never used that type, used to the normal ones that just snap on and off.

I'm going to play around tomorrow night and see if I can get it orientated right to use the normal fitting.
I use a needle for my u-joints. Works fine. Just gotta make sure it's bigger than the hole so you can get a good seal with the needle end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I went with the needle style geese zerks that are in the cap not the cross

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys.... they make close-quarters grease fittings for your grease guns... they slide onto the zerk fitting from the side, not push on from the top. Works great when all you have is 1/4" of space to work with. See here:

You must be registered for see images attach

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That looks like a good attachment, might get one.

I got it with just the standard one...worked with the zerk facing down at 5 o'clock (looking at the back of the diff) and the front U joint at about 1 o'clock.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need that needle to get to the fitting on my 2015 Ram front drive shaft.