got an "error code" today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My check engine light came on after a long trip today. When I parked I did the ignition key check and a code came up:

P0141 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2

Is this something I should be concerned with? Or is it one of those BS sensor's that dont really mean anything?

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bohica-kj said:
My check engine light came on after a long trip today. When I parked I did the ignition key check and a code came up:

P0141 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2

Is this something I should be concerned with? Or is it one of those BS sensor's that dont really mean anything?

Maybe a fluke, but it means the Heated Oxygen Sensor is putting out a code.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Valvestem....

Hope its not TOO serious 8-[

I live in S. Korea, so going to the dealer down the street is out....

I'll get it checked as soon as I can.

Do you have any idea if its an engine or if its an exhaust sensor?

I'd like to do some off roadn' this w/e. but this makes me kinda' nervice (Aeh)

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O2 Sensor

bohica-kj said:
thanks Valvestem....

Hope its not TOO serious 8-[

I live in S. Korea, so going to the dealer down the street is out....

I'll get it checked as soon as I can.

Do you have any idea if its an engine or if its an exhaust sensor?

I'd like to do some off roadn' this w/e. but this makes me kinda' nervice (Aeh)
You must be registered for see images

It is both, an engine exhaust temperature sensor. The code being thrown may signify that it is failing. If you have disconnected the negative side of the battery to reset the code, and it still appears on reconnection/restarting, then I'd say it is failing. The diagram will show which one. Being part of an overall engine control system, the sensor is important enough not to let go for too long.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Valvestem,
I got busy and almost forgot to say Thanks for the great info and diagrams!!!!
It really helped out. I waited until I got my Magnaflow install, then crawled under and lightly tapped on the sensors and jiggled the wires a bit. Then disconnected the battery for about a min., and it worked GREAT !! The "check engine" light went away and so did the code \:D/
I'v put about 200 miles on her since the and it hasnt come back.....hope it dosnt.

THANKS AGIAN !!!!!!

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only, the up stream o2 sensors are important. The down stream o2 sensor just tell the computer if the CATs are working properly. Used as self emission check. You could pull them out and your Jeep would run fine. They don't control the fuel system at all, only the up steam senors do.

mx_599

Reaction score
I am having some of the same issues here in my 2004 Liberty V6. I got some advice from the dood at Autozone and it does not seem to corroborate with that of this thread.

can anyone help me out?

the Autozone code reader says: P0137 Definition HO2S12 circuit condition (heated oxy sensor bank 1 sensor 2)

Explanation: powertrain control module uses the O2 sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio in the exhaust

per diagram: isn't the one throwing code Left Downstream Sensor (1/2) if I am using diagram correct??

after reading this thread, isn't this the downstream sensor? and if so, someone said this does not affect air:fuel. only the upstream sensors. why did the code print out say it does affect it? I tend to believe the people here than this code reader from Autozone??

Secondly, are these sensors the type of part that either works or does not? is there any failing middle ground where it might be advantageous to just replace it? how about brand? some were like $25 each and another was $50 each?

I did rough calcs of stop 'n go MPG's and it seems to be around 15-16mpg. There is about 105k miles on car.

I was leaning towards replacing both upstream sensors...but according to this print out it seems to be down stream? should I do all 4??

can any offer some advice? thanks! you guys rock :favorites13:

Last edited:

mx_599

Reaction score
I am having some of the same issues here in my 2004 Liberty V6. I got some advice from the dood at Autozone and it does not seem to corroborate with that of this thread.

can anyone help me out?

the Autozone code reader says: P0137 Definition HO2S12 circuit condition (heated oxy sensor bank 1 sensor 2)

Explanation: powertrain control module uses the O2 sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio in the exhaust

after reading this thread, isn't this the downstream sensor? and if so, someone said this does not affect air:fuel. only the upstream sensors. why did the code print out say it does affect it? I tend to believe the people here than this code reader from Autozone??

Secondly, are these sensors the type of part that either works or does not? is there any failing middle ground where it might be advantageous to just replace it? how about brand? some were like $25 each and another was $50 each?

I did rough calcs of stop 'n go MPG's and it seems to be around 15-16mpg. There is about 105k miles on car.

I was leaning towards replacing both upstream sensors...but according to this print out it seems to be down stream? should I do all 4??

can any offer some advice? thanks! you guys rock :favorites13:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reset it and see if the code comes back. Could just be a fluke.

You are correct.... bank 1 is the drivers side and sensor 2 is the one after the cat. The before the cat sensor controls open/closed loop operation and is more important than the after the cat sensor.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.