Gear Shift Bulb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pinslammer

Reaction score
My gear shifter bulb will not come on sometimes but a quick hit on the counsel fixes that. how can i get in there to change it out? do i have to yank the whole counsel?

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year?

The bezel that covers the PRNDL just snaps off when lifted straight up. It takes a firm hand to get the metal snaps to disengage but then you have access to the PRNDL light. It should just twist out of the housing and can easily be replaced.

Light probably costs less than $1.00.

pinslammer

Reaction score
its an 02 KJ. i have had the plastic molding off but i do not see the wires and there is pretty much no room for me to get my hand in there.......

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately you do have to remove the center console to replace the bulb - a half-hour of work to replace a $2 rice-grain bulb :rolleyes: (OK I think it was actually $2 for a pair of them).

Here is a diagram of what you'll be looking for when you get the console off:
You must be registered for see images attach

I had a bit of a time getting my fat fingers in there to get the socket out - if you have a pair of needle-nose pliers (or skinny fingers) it will make things easier.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Put mine in,then proceeded to knock it loose putting console back together.So no light.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We have an '04 that had/has the same problem.
I changed it once and it worked for quite a long time!
Well, the bulb burn out again and this time I'm just
leaving it alone.
I couldn't be bothered to dismantle the centre console again!
I'm used to a manual gearbox. They do not have a shift indicator
light bulb, and I know where to engage the stick!
For that reason, I'm not worried about a "Shift indicator" lamp!

That, and I find it less distracting with the annoying light coming from
the centre console!

Just my preference.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I think if i ever need to do mine its going to be an LED replacement, then it will out-live the vehicle.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Mine has been dark since I got her, doesn't really bother me. Like you say Ryan, mostly drove a standard until now anyways. Then again it's pretty dark everywhere in my KJ since all of my interior lights are orange.:)

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the bulb out and put a Blue LED strip from Advanced-led.ca (my site) but I'm sure superbrightleds.com (board sponsor) has that stuff too.

Rusty

Reaction score
Changed mine out by removing the trim plate then pushing in the tabs to remove the bezel, slide out the white vinyl cover then sliding out the clear plastic bezel by pushing in the tabs. The build can be pulled and replaced without removing the console and you can be done in less than 10 minutes!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed mine out by removing the trim plate then pushing in the tabs to remove the bezel, slide out the white vinyl cover then sliding out the clear plastic bezel by pushing in the tabs. The build can be pulled and replaced without removing the console and you can be done in less than 10 minutes!

Only problem with this method is that I shattered the bulb removing the clear plastic piece.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red lens across the PRNDL

Something broke loose inside mine. Not even sure how is was before... But now there is a red lens going across the ND at an anglekopkrab.gif I don't really care, but it just looks crappy. I guess I'll have to pull it apart, and see what happened, broke off in there. Does the red lens move, over the gear selection, or does it just stay over park position. I just can't remember, how it was before...

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should move with gear position- there a tab that you'll see where it broke that's attached to the shifter
Mine broke off as well and I just threw it out
If you leave it in it'll eventually move around and look weird

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, Yeah, I don't really need it. I don't even look at the shifter, just count the detents as I move it. Thanks for your reply.

Latest posts

Members online