Gas Tank capacity.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I looked u my gas tank capacity before I bought my Liberty, and the build sheet said: 18.5 Gallon Fuel Tank

The other day my paycheck didn't come through on payday, so I didn't refill as normal. Despite it telling me I only had less than 15 miles to go(according to computer and it beeping at me and also displaying the gas light), a fill up when my check cleared, including going past the initial click, only put me at 15.2 gallons in.

So is she hiding 3 gallons on me? Maybe it's in my mind, but she seemed a little more "chuggy" when I thought I was less than a gallon from empty, and I have run my Dodge 3500 Diesel past empty more than once b/c it had no working gas gauge sender.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I looked u my gas tank capacity before I bought my Liberty, and the build sheet said: 18.5 Gallon Fuel Tank

The other day my paycheck didn't come through on payday, so I didn't refill as normal. Despite it telling me I only had less than 15 miles to go(according to computer and it beeping at me and also displaying the gas light), a fill up when my check cleared, including going past the initial click, only put me at 15.2 gallons in.

So is she hiding 3 gallons on me? Maybe it's in my mind, but she seemed a little more "chuggy" when I thought I was less than a gallon from empty, and I have run my Dodge 3500 Diesel past empty more than once b/c it had no working gas gauge sender.

They all "hide " some, most any make and model
Plus should never run them anywhere near empty, ******* the fuel pumps
None of mine are run less than 1/4 tank, mostly 1/2 tank

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned by Tom, it really is ******* the pump to run it low on fuel.
I also keep mine above 1/4 whenever possible.
62001[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

A warning chime will sound along with the low fuel warning light, when the fuel level reaches approximately 2.7 U.S.Gallons (10L) remaining.
The range of our Jeep has to be considered especially off road, & your best friend may be extra Jerry-cans! :gr_grin:

Attachments

• yB56hKb.jpg
    yB56hKb.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I admit I didn't read the owners manual. I was relying too much on the trip computer.

As for fuel, I'm used to the Dodge with it's 35 gallon tank, so I tended to just top it off every pay day and that worked well for years. I guess I'm gonna be one of those chumps who panics everytime a snow storm comes now to fill up, just in case.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ha Ha, I know Dave will like this..:gr_grin:
62003[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I wish the KJ would have been equipped with a 25 gallon tank, it sure could use one.
Now a days especially with ethanol based fuels, that like to absorb moisture, it truly is best to keep it full in winter anyways.
My 2004 tank capacity is 19.5 gallons, according to my build sheet.
I guess it was in 04 they added the extra gallon IDK.....

Attachments

• OiZ9zaH.jpg
    OiZ9zaH.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a dumb, and broke, college student, I would regularly get 30 miles after the EVIC said zero. I wasn't aware that keeping it full is the best protocol in winter, noted.

If it had a 25, or even 30, gallon tank that would be amazing. I've seen the extra capacity tanks for sale in AUS, but never here in the US. For the money, just having 2 jerry cans is usually enough.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As a dumb, and broke, college student, I would regularly get 30 miles after the EVIC said zero. I wasn't aware that keeping it full is the best protocol in winter, noted.

If it had a 25, or even 30, gallon tank that would be amazing. I've seen the extra capacity tanks for sale in AUS, but never here in the US. For the money, just having 2 jerry cans is usually enough.

Always above at least 1/4 tank, not just winter

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, at 30 gallons it's almost twice the capacity.. are sure there is even ROOM for such a large tank under there?

I don't know how accurate that whole "fuel light comes on with 2.7US gallons remaining" thing.

Mine on my 03 comes on at 1 gallon estimated to be remaining. It coincides exactly with what the EVICS says is my MPG, 19.0MPG, bet your ass fuel light dings and comes on with an estimated 19 miles remaining to empty.

My actual fuel tank capacity (how much I can put in- not necessarily how much it can hold) is 16 gallons. My build sheet from JEEP says 18.5, which is BS unless that extra 2.5 gallons is permanently assigned as extra space for vapor expansion or something.

I had a solid 20 gallon tank in my Grand Marquis, which coincidentally got the exact same fuel economy as my Jeep, about 19.0mpg. I filled up about 33% less often with that tank.

I miss that tank ... er, I mean car.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard reserve for those vintage Mopars is 6gal. My 03 Ram has a 26gal tank and unless I run it well past 'E' I generally can only put about 20gal in it. Same with my LX's.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, at 30 gallons it's almost twice the capacity.. are sure there is even ROOM for such a large tank under there?

I don't know how accurate that whole "fuel light comes on with 2.7US gallons remaining" thing.

Mine on my 03 comes on at 1 gallon estimated to be remaining. It coincides exactly with what the EVICS says is my MPG, 19.0MPG, bet your ass fuel light dings and comes on with an estimated 19 miles remaining to empty.

My actual fuel tank capacity (how much I can put in- not necessarily how much it can hold) is 16 gallons. My build sheet from JEEP says 18.5, which is BS unless that extra 2.5 gallons is permanently assigned as extra space for vapor expansion or something.

I had a solid 20 gallon tank in my Grand Marquis, which coincidentally got the exact same fuel economy as my Jeep, about 19.0mpg. I filled up about 33% less often with that tank.

I miss that tank ... er, I mean car.

If I recall correctly, the tank was a 110L (29gal) and it fit in the same space as the stock tank. I looked around on the interwebs but did not come across it.

When I filled up yesterday the gas light was on, and I put 15.5gal in there. I've definitely put it 18gal before, which as everyone has said, was a bad thing to do. I've prayed to the Jeep gods for forgiveness. Build sheet says the same for me and the gas light comes on at 22mi DTE, so maybe that is why it seems to go further. I do believe that there is a reserve, somewhere around 2.5gal.

Those damn things were land yachts. My Stepdad has my grandmas old lincoln town car (similar), and damn is that thing an absolute tank that chugs fuel. Great ride even at 20years old.

I had a '03 silverado with a 34gal tank from 2004-06 when gas prices were unfriendly. Due to whatever funky quirk gas pumps have, I regularly would have to put in $100, fill that up, then go give them more money to top off. Kinda funny to think that in 2001 when I got my license, gas was only $0.96, and I could drive my little '84 Honda civic for days on $100. The day I got my license, I drove over 300mi....just around town :happy175:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last I knew the fuel capacity changed over the years. In 02 it started as 18.5 gal, and then in 04 it changed to 19.5 and in 05 it was 20.5 but I am not sure about 06 and 07 and guess they stayed the same as 05. That was last I knew for gas, not sure about diesel or overseas models.

My 05 "PIG" is 20.5 as Liberty TC noted.

I ran mine way low on a trip once but never did that again. It really is not good as others have mentioned as the amount of fuel in your tank keeps the electric fuel pump in the fuel tank running cool. (same for all modern vehicles with electric fuel pumps in the gas tank)

Bottom line, when mine starts going below 1/2 a tank, I put gas in it before it gets to 1/4 of a tank even if I am low on funds and don't fill it all the way. I am going to drive it and so I must "Feed The PIG".....LOL

Dave

Latest posts

Members online