Fuel level sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2005 Liberty with the 2.4 engine is throwing a code PO463 Fuel level sensor. How to fix. ???? Does one need to drop the tank to get to the sensor or maybe I can be lucky and it is just a loose connection or a ground. ????
Anyone else had this problem.
Does the 2005 have a access door in the floor in the rear.
Thanks in Advance
Ken

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my 2005 FSM, yes you need to drop the tank. Does the fuel gauge read correctly?

Ken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gas gage reads correctly for about 50 miles and then beeps and goes to empty and the CEL comes on. After about 2 more starts the gas gage reads correctly till the next fill up. I always fill up so I can keep track of gas mileage. The CEL used to go out after maybe 5 starts but stays on all the time now. Had them clear the code at Advance Auto and I just filled up and all is well now will see what happens when I get 50 miles on it. Put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in with this fill up as well.
Laterz
Ken

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the gauge always drops to zero at the same fuel level, then it probably is the sender (attached to the fuel pump module). If it'e completely random then I would have thought it is more likely a bad connection at the fuel pump plug.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my 2005 FSM, yes you need to drop the tank. Does the fuel gauge read correctly?

My 04 Liberty is suffering from an incorrect fuel level reading, it never reaches "F" but it doesn't pop codes. I'm hoping that I can pull up the carpet above the tank and find an access panel.

Let us knw ho you make out Ken. And if you do the job yourself you'll have to take some pics for us.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Liberty is suffering from an incorrect fuel level reading, it never reaches "F" but it doesn't pop codes. I'm hoping that I can pull up the carpet above the tank and find an access panel.

Let us knw ho you make out Ken. And if you do the job yourself you'll have to take some pics for us.

I don't have the FSM for 04, but the 03 is reached from under the carpet so I'd say yours will be the same.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you my '02 does not have that access panel even though the FSM say's it is supposed to have one.My '02 is also one of the 1st ones made on the 2nd year production '02's so it's not a early built KJ.

Ken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I resolved the problems with the fuel gage by by buying a Diagnostic tool and clearing the codes.
Got over 100 miles on this tank of gas and no problems so far.
Laterz all
Ken

Latest posts

Members online