Front wheels locking up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sammyantha

Reaction score
Need some help again please! Jeep is currently stuck in a car park as the front wheels are locking up and not moving when they are turned.

Snowed this morning so Jeep was used in 4WD full time. Went back out in it later using 2WD and there was a loud bang from under it.

Jeep can now go forwards and backwards in a straight line absolutely fine but as soon as the steering wheel is turned the front wheels lock up and the jeep just revs and goes nowhere fast. Tried in both 2WD and 4WD.

Any ideas? :(

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you attempted cutting wheels from lock to lock sitting still? If wheels cut from lock to lock while sitting, have you looked underneath on both sides for broken/busted axle shafts? If you aren't capable of doing basic look-over troubleshooting, best call a recovery truck and have it transported to a trusted shop.

Sammyantha

Reaction score
The wheels do move lock to lock when sitting and it has been looked at underneath, no sign of anything broken but it is getting dark now so hard to see.

Currently waiting for breakdown service to send someone out to it. Just thought I’d see how much this might cost in the mean time.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is stuck in 4wd part time. The linkage could have come loose and not allowing it to shift back into 2wd

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheels do move lock to lock when sitting and it has been looked at underneath, no sign of anything broken but it is getting dark now so hard to see.

Currently waiting for breakdown service to send someone out to it. Just thought I’d see how much this might cost in the mean time.

If you can't tell us what is broken and what parts need replacing, how could anyone possibly tell you what it will cost to repair?

Sounds like something is bent/broken or disconnected. You need to get a good look under it, perhaps on a lift.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd put it in N, roll it and shift into 4LO then to drive then back N and shift into 2wd. That's what I do when mine gets hung up. Although you may have a more complex issue.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be completely wrong about these KJ components.
Two questions I had were what kind of transfer case and does it have traction control or locker?

I know the old XJ with part time 4wheel drive the old workhorse np231 transfer case were sensitive to being used on pavement, where the full time 4 wheel drive np242 could deal with the wheels turning at different speeds on pavement.

It sounds like maybe something broke in the transfer case to lockup the front axel when turned. Or maybe in the front axel especially if it has some sort limited slip or differential locker.

It could be traction control, something broken in the axel, or transmission. Abs is don’t think should do this.

There are all kinds of ways to test but a trusted shop might be a better choice so they can put it on a lift to inspect and test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2, what tcase? if its Selec trac (has 4 full time) then my post applies, if not, my post doesn't apply.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They said "full time" in the original post. If so then selectrac 242. Those things are real sensitive to even minor tire pressure differences too. Sounds to me like it's JUST stuck but could be something worse inside the tcase. When I got my 05 Dec of 2016 I don't think it was ever in 4wd. I went to an abandoned school parking lot and tested it. It went into part time but not full time and when I went back to 2wd it sounded like it detonated and still seemed to be in part time. After that it went into full time and then would go reluctantly back into 2wd. Just be gentle with turning until you get it to stop binding. I made very gradual turns and felt for the bind. I exercise it regularly now (at least once a month) and it's fine now.

That said, How is the tcase service record? Fluid okay? I'd check level but drain it and make sure no chunks come out. Make sure the fill plug is not frozen before draining it. Tires inflated equally? Shifter is actually shifting and not just flopping around? Like HJ said try to shift while rolling a bit.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t a stuck t-case issue just cause more binding then locking up? Op refers to it as locking up completely then the engine revs with no movement. Sounds like a more serious issue.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t a stuck t-case issue just cause more binding then locking up? Op refers to it as locking up completely then the engine revs with no movement. Sounds like a more serious issue.

I think it's just locking up when he turns. If you have good tires on a paved surface it'll bind and feel like its locking up. Maybe we need more info?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the tcase it wouldn't matter if he's driving straight or turning.