Front End Noise/Coil Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jordan3757

Reaction score
So here's a bit of background... I replaced my shocks/struts all the way around with Rancho's at 52,500 miles. The fronts are the RSX17505 and the rears are RS5284. Shortly thereafter I started getting a strange rattling in the front driver side when going 30-40mph and letting off the accelerator (perhaps I could hear it only when off the throttle?). I took it to the dealer after trying to find the noise myself, and they isolated the noise after quite a while using "electronic ears" to coming from the drivers side strut.

I replaced the strut with a warranty replacement. The rattling is gone, but now I have a very loud metallic noise whenever I hit bumps. Also there is a LOT less resistance when applying downward force on the front bumper on the drivers side as opposed to the passenger side. Once you get it bouncing it takes a few bounces for it to stop... the passenger is performing correctly and without noise.

Does it sound like the front driver side coil spring is at fault? Did I get another bad strut? If it's the spring, I'm pretty sure I should replace both front springs to keep them balanced. And while I'm at it.... new factory springs would be about $100. New OME coils all the around would be about $300...but would I have to replace the rear shocks? What would you all do? Any thoughts? I'm pretty frustrated by all of these dang noises and problems...

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's a bit of background... I replaced my shocks/struts all the way around with Rancho's at 52,500 miles. The fronts are the RSX17505 and the rears are RS5284. Shortly thereafter I started getting a strange rattling in the front driver side when going 30-40mph and letting off the accelerator (perhaps I could hear it only when off the throttle?). I took it to the dealer after trying to find the noise myself, and they isolated the noise after quite a while using "electronic ears" to coming from the drivers side strut.

I replaced the strut with a warranty replacement. The rattling is gone, but now I have a very loud metallic noise whenever I hit bumps. Also there is a LOT less resistance when applying downward force on the front bumper on the drivers side as opposed to the passenger side. Once you get it bouncing it takes a few bounces for it to stop... the passenger is performing correctly and without noise.

Does it sound like the front driver side coil spring is at fault? Did I get another bad strut? If it's the spring, I'm pretty sure I should replace both front springs to keep them balanced. And while I'm at it.... new factory springs would be about $100. New OME coils all the around would be about $300...but would I have to replace the rear shocks? What would you all do? Any thoughts? I'm pretty frustrated by all of these dang noises and problems...

Make sure everything is torqued down, i.e., sway bar end links. If you want to lift you will need new rear shocks. The one you have are for a stock Jeep liberty. You will need Rancho RSX17004. Those are actually for a stock Dodge Durango but they will fit your Jeep. You can keep your front struts.

jordan3757

Reaction score
I'll check those sway bars out... I was afraid I'd have to replace the rear shocks. Basically it's either spend $400 and lift it or spend $100 and keep it stock if the sway bars aren't the problem. I'll let you know how they look.

Latest posts

Members online