front bumper removal - metal rivets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to remove the front bumper to install some front tow hooks, and it looks like my fender flares have metal rivets holding them on, instead of the plastic ones i assumed (and bought to replace them with). before i start mangling the plastic fender flares, is there any easy way to get these metal rivets out?

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have a Renegade model those "metal rivets" are fake plastic.

The flairs are mounted the exact same for all KJ's.

it's a 2007 Limited...and they are definitely metal...not sure if someone else replaced them with metal at some point before I bought it. anyway, i've drilled and punched one out, the others are partially drilled out but spinning. ugh, this was supposed to be a quick job but i'll have to finish later.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why remove the fender flares to remove the bumper. No need they are separated. The bumper cover can come off by itself

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why remove the fender flares to remove the bumper. No need they are separated. The bumper cover can come off by itself

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

sorry i mispoke, not the flares...there are 3 rivets in the wheel well that attach to the front bumper cover. i finally got them off and installed the tow hooks -
the rivets were replaced them with much easier plastic rivets.

CinciKJ

Reaction score

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

sorry i mispoke, not the flares...there are 3 rivets in the wheel well that attach to the front bumper cover. i finally got them off and installed the tow hooks -
the rivets were replaced them with much easier plastic rivets.

My KJ came with a cracked bumper cover. I am about to order a replacement. I see the 3 mounting rivets in each wheel well. Where else does the bumper cover attach, and what will I need to remove and replace?

Thanks,
Gary

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ came with a cracked bumper cover. I am about to order a replacement. I see the 3 mounting rivets in each wheel well. Where else does the bumper cover attach, and what will I need to remove and replace?

Thanks,
Gary

There are a series of screws on the bottom, in/by the air dam. Also need to remove the front grille, which is simple, and there are clips in there. Do a search on here or on Google and you'll see lots of hits with how-to's on removing the front bumper cover.

Latest posts

Members online