Front Axle Drive Shaft Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a clicking noise which seems to come from my drivers wheel i brought it in today and the guy said he thinks it is the drive shaft that comes from the transfer case that is making the clicking noise is there a place to buy one of these that are not massive expensive.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i have a clicking noise which seems to come from my drivers wheel i brought it in today and the guy said he thinks it is the drive shaft that comes from the transfer case that is making the clicking noise is there a place to buy one of these that are not massive expensive.

IF, its from the front driveshaft then it can be rebuilt. Rear boot covering the CV deteriorates and CV goes bad.
Driveshaft & CV Joint Components has the parts for about 60 bucks I think
BUT have it checked, him " thinking " thats it is not enough

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no difference in the noise when i turn or stop and go or speed of the truck,i thought if it were the axel when you hit the gas or put it in drive there would be a clunck but there is not onlt a clicking noise every time the tire does 1 rotation.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If it doesn't change when turning I'd say it is that rear CV on the driveshaft but it's worth a peek anyway.

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the shaft out. See if the noise goes away.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no difference in the noise when i turn or stop and go or speed of the truck,i thought if it were the axel when you hit the gas or put it in drive there would be a clunck but there is not onlt a clicking noise every time the tire does 1 rotation.

Front driveshaft and the "axle " are two different items
You have a front driveshaft from the transfer case to the front differential
at the back end of it is a CV that wears out as I explained above.
You mentioning " axle " would be best described as one of the two "CVs" that drive the front wheels

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it helps the noise is more of a chirping noise everytime the whell does a rotation but if i jack it up and spin it i hear nothing so only under load i guess.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
if it helps the noise is more of a chirping noise everytime the whell does a rotation but if i jack it up and spin it i hear nothing so only under load i guess.

MOST times a chirping noise is a u-joint on the rear driveshaft.
I can hear one of those clear across a parking lot.
Drive a few miles then put your hand close to each u-joint front and rear
it will be hot if bad most times

Latest posts

Members online