flashing check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beinroc

Reaction score
Question. A brief background first. Replaced cylinder 5 ignition coil as my check engine light indicated a cylinder 5 misfire. Light went off for quite awhile. Now is back on with same message of misfire. But today, I was driving home and the JEEP sputtered a bit and the check engine light is flashing. Also, seems like it is going to backfire or stall. Any thoughts on why or what a flashing check engine light means? Thought I would ask before I run off to the mechanic. Any input would be great. Thanks.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any time you see a flashing engine light, STOP DRIVING. There could be a serious problem with your engine or drivetrain. If it threw the code for a cyl 5 misfire again, there are several possible causes. Since it initially got better after you replaced the coil pack, it might be a loose electrical connection or a bad spark plug. I'd check all the connections to make sure nothing got unplugged, and take the coil pack and spark plug itself out to check its condition. If you still can't find the problem, it's time to call a mechanic.

Last edited:

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the coil again. I had this exact same thing happen to me, flashing check engine light, multiple cylinder misfire. I replaced all the coils in mine when this happened, along with the spark plugs and crank-sensor. A little while later, exact same problem. I removed the offending coil (#3, if I recall), and replaced it. Problem solved.

I guess what I'm trying to say here, is.... don't panic. Don't be surprised if it's something simple. It very easily could be a bad coil(s).

:cheers:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah stut the engine down ASAP when the MIL starts flashing.When the MIL is flashing that means damage is being done,not about to be done but already done to either the engine(internal) or the cats themselfs.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah stut the engine down ASAP when the MIL starts flashing.When the MIL is flashing that means damage is being done,not about to be done but already done to either the engine(internal) or the cats themselfs.

hey um this might sound stupid but what do you mean by cats