Finding Electric Brake Wire.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, after seeing so many post on how to find the brake controller wire, i figured that i would go and try to find it myself just to see how hard it is to find. From what i understand u only have this wire if u have the Trailer tow pack, or have the evic computer.

The first thing u have to do is remove the piece of trim around the hood release handle. It just pops off and pulls right out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then behind the hood release handle there is alittle white box that holds a bunch of wires. The cover just snaps off and the blue brake wire practically fell out. Im sorry that i didnt get a good pic of where the white box is but i got a close up of the box and the wire, it has alittle tag on it.

lol, my finger is not really that BIG.

Then i started to wonder where it goes, so i went to the back of the jeep and popped the right trim piece off to see if it was there. I knew that if u got the mopar wireing harness that you wouldnt have to worry about it b/c it would hook into that wire and then just plug ur 7 pin connector into it and u have trailer brakes, but i didnt get the mopar 7 pin harness, i got the etrailer 7 pin harness that makes u find the wire and splice into it.

U can see the blue wire there, I think thats it b/c it dosent go to anything on my etrailer wiring harness, and i didnt get the one that plugs into the lights or anything, its the one where u have run the wire to the battery, which i think is the best. I also found some other wires that go the mopar wiring harness, but im not sure what they are for, i think one of them is 12v acc, but im not sure.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. This is an FYI for anyone with a 2007 KJ. I was wiring in my brake controller and went a-huntin' for the elusive "blue wire." After digging through the harness behind the white panel, I could not find any solid blue wires. What I did find was that the brake controller wire was a solid red wire that was tied up at the highest point in the harness. It had the "Brake Controller" label on it. I don't know if this is going to be true for all 2007 Libertys but it was in mine. Maybe they ran out of blue wire the day my KJ was built.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whew, thats old. Kinda funny to see old posts like that. My wording and such has changed a lot.

I used 'lol' and 'u' back then. :rolleyes:

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found my brake controller wire today right where you said it would be, but it was solid red rather than blue. 2005 CRD sport model

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you with the wire? Why were you guys hunting for it?

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm installing a brake controller...

Got a new trailer with electric brakes

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the "Brake Wire" runs to the 7 pin Mopar trailer hitch electrical plug and eventually to your trailer's electrical brakes.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the "Brake Wire" runs to the 7 pin Mopar trailer hitch electrical plug and eventually to your trailer's electrical brakes.

Exactly, its for trailers with electric brakes. Gotta have a brake controller to control the brakes on the trailer. That blue wire gets wired into the brake controller.

cpaharley2008

Reaction score
2011 liberty

I need help installing my brake controller on my 2011 liberty with factory tow package. Can anyone guide me or post some pictures for the mentally challenged? Thanks

Latest posts

Members online