Filling gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Towed

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 2006 Liberty. My first Jeep and I'm rather excited about driving it. I purchased this mainly to tow behind my motorhome. I have had the occasion to fill up the gas tank twice now and both times the pump didn't shut off until after some gas had already spilled out and left gas in the filler neck all the way up to wear the cap screws on. Since this has happened at two different gas stations I can assume that it wasn't an issue with the pump itself but perhaps this is a quirk when filling up Liberty. Do I need to keep an eye on the gauge and cut it off manually when it hits the full mark?

TAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I ran across this. Don't need it but when I do, I'm good to go!

leroy_allen

Reaction score
Got a 2006 myself, same problem. Just gotten used to figuring out how many gallons I need according to where the gas gauge needle is pointing, and stopping the pump short of that. I usually get it right, but unfortunately not every time.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually dropped the fuel tank to put the GM valve in my 2006 a couple weeks ago. I didn't know if Jeep fuel pumps were any better than the others so I put a new pump in also since I have 90000 miles on the vehicle.

I just have to fill it slow for a second and then I can fill full speed after that

This is a pic of the device in the tank that causes the problem by sticking open
http://i62.tinypic.com/21mtbgm.jpg
It seems the plunger will expand due to ethanol and then stick either open or closed