Estimated Cost of a tune up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went to my local PEPBOYS and asked about the cost to have my KJ tuned up at 30k miles. See attached photo of the estimate. Please also note that the estimate will also include the cost of the purchase and mounting of new tires.. I am also not interested with the tires they estimated me with.

So what do you think?
You must be registered for see images

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let them touch your trans:eek:,they have listed they will fill your trans with DEXIII ATF when your KJ requires ATF+4 only,DEXIII will kill your trans and is not full synthetic like ATF+4.They also want to add the wrong coolant to your cooling system,they want to add OAT coolant which will destroy your waterpump.Your cooling system requires HOAT coolant(commonally found at Napa as Zerex GO5).

The price is good for the plug change and with good plugs.Skip the K&N air filter for DD driving.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a RIPOFF...

Do the stuff other than tires in your driveway and buy a case of beer with all the leftover cash!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What a RIPOFF...

Do the stuff other than tires in your driveway and buy four cases of beer with all the leftover cash!
I totally agree. Most of that isn't even required. Do you need new tires? What the heck is a "Battery Service?!" Most batteries this day are NOT serviceable! Gumout Pro Fuel? What the? Dexron III? Seriously? Say goodbye and QUICKLY to your transmission! You might not even make it out of the parking lot!

That's just a short list of questions! RUN, DO NOT WALK, FROM PEPBOYS!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll do one better, bring all the fluids and filters and a case of beer and i will help you do it and teach you things if you don't know how!!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. Most of that isn't even required. Do you need new tires? What the heck is a "Battery Service?!" Most batteries this day are NOT serviceable! Gumout Pro Fuel? What the? Dexron III? Seriously? Say goodbye and QUICKLY to your transmission! You might not even make it out of the parking lot!

That's just a short list of questions! RUN, DO NOT WALK, FROM PEPBOYS!

Yeah i caught that too, Battery Service?? WTF!

Maybe like 15 years ago...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kb0nly Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdJunkie
'cuz his battery's low on water there feller :p

LMAO... Well i guess technically its possible if he had a REALLY OLD unsealed battery.. (biggrin)
The battery service is cleaning the battery terminals of corrosion and then spraying protectant on the terminals.Firestone offers the same service.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even a Dealership wouldn't charge $1300 for that!

Things that need to be done at 30K miles:
Oil Change [obviously]
Transmission Fluid Change
Front diff Fluid
Rear Diff Fluid
Transfer Case Fluid
New Spark Plugs
New Air Filter [as required]
Inspect the brakes [replace as required]
Flush Brake Fluid [if you want or as required]

That's pretty much it.

The coolant [HOAT = Zerex G-05 or Mopar Branded Coolant Only] is good for 5 years or 60,000 miles]
The battery is sealed and non serviceable as everyone else stated. Unless you have a lot of crud built up on the terminals... then TJ's comment is valid.
The serpentine belt should be good for 60k miles
There should be nothing wrong with the fuel system at 30K miles...

Hopefully you didn't have them service your vehicle...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those who are offering to do it for half price or less than what pepboys charge above: Where part of your body do you plan on getting set of tires out from?
Take out the $700 tire-related costs, $500 is more than OK to get a tune up, as for the components they use, that's a different story. Dealer charges $750 for 30k or 60k tune up.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
So I went to my local PEPBOYS and asked about the cost to have my KJ tuned up at 30k miles. See attached photo of the estimate. Please also note that the estimate will also include the cost of the purchase and mounting of new tires.. I am also not interested with the tires they estimated me with.

So what do you think?
You must be registered for see images

What do "I" think?

I'll tell ya.

In addition to what everybody else here has said...
This is my ₵ 0.09 cents worth.

All the times I have travelled throughout The Good Ole' U.S. of A. over the last 25 plus years and went to a "PEPBOYS"...
I have never received any real customer service.
Just a bunch of opinionated morons behind the counter and even worse "Dipsh_ts in their service departments!
Back in 1987 on one of our mega trips throughout the U.S. where my friends and I racked up over 16000 miles of travel, I made the mistake of bringing my 1975 Ford E350 Econo Line camperized van to them for an oil change.
Lets see...

The drain plug on the oil pan was put back on only "Finger tight", the oil filter (The first time was not screwed on tight enough! and after I went back, it was cranked on so bloody tight that at the next oil change, the service Tech had to stab a screwdriver through it to get it off)
So subsequently I had major oil leakage from between the oil filter and oil filter mount, and continual oil dribbling from the oil pan drain plug!
But wait! that's not all!
Their service "Tech" also forgot to put the 710 (Oil filler cap!) back on the valve cover!
It wasn't until I started to smell burning oil and the oil light came on and pulled over on the side of the Highway and opened the hood and saw that the oil filler cap was missing and that there was oil all over the inside of the engine compartment! And I mean all over the engine compartment! I went to check the oil to see how much oil had been lost and noticed that the the dipstick was not where it was supposed to be! GONE!
I doubled back some 160+ miles to the "PEPBOYS" that performed the automotive service, the service department accused me of removing/loosing the oil filler cap and dipstick and under tightening the oil filter and drain plug!
Man, the service manager was also a mouth breathing idiot!
Like, why the hell would I want to "Loose" an oil cap and dip stick and mess around with loosening the oil filter and oil drain bolt?
Effin' ******!

I wouldn't even bring a POS vehicle to them for servicing!
The crap on that service quote they gave you should never make it into your truck.
It really shows you how that company cuts corners with their customers vehicles.
Not to mention that the price of the vehicle servicing they quoted you of $629.84 (Less $651.83 for the tires and associated service charges for their installation.) is preposterous!
Totally absurd!
If you were to go to Walmart, they include mounting, balancing, valve stems, and a Nation wide road hazard warranty in the price of the tires!

I'll stop here, as I'm sure you get the point!

One last thing though.
They should change the three names Manny, Moe & Jack to Larry, Moe & Curly of The Three Stooges

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW... Sounds like Ryan got bit by the PepBoys bug...

That's not the first horrible story i have heard about them.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let them touch your trans:eek:,they have listed they will fill your trans with DEXIII ATF when your KJ requires ATF+4 only,DEXIII will kill your trans and is not full synthetic like ATF+4.They also want to add the wrong coolant to your cooling system,they want to add OAT coolant which will destroy your waterpump.Your cooling system requires HOAT coolant(commonally found at Napa as Zerex GO5).

The price is good for the plug change and with good plugs.Skip the K&N air filter for DD driving.

OH crap. I assumed the orange coolant in the KJ was DeXCool. I just refilled my cooling system with this. Can it wait 2 weeks before I flush and re-fill??

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH crap. I assumed the orange coolant in the KJ was DeXCool. I just refilled my cooling system with this. Can it wait 2 weeks before I flush and re-fill??

....2 weeks might not be too bad, but get that stuff all out of there.......asap......and flush it really good. Then go to NAPA and get the HOAT-GO5 as they are cheaper there than the dealer.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online