Error Code P0430 Catalyst Efficiency

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremyc

Reaction score
Hello all. I've owned my 05 Liberty for about 6 months now and am now getting a check engine light. The error code is P0430.

AutoZone printed this off for me:
The PCM has determined that the catalyst system efficiency for bank 2 is below threshold for the current engine operating condisitons. (Bank 1 identifes the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank)

Since purchasing my Liberty i've added a Flowmaster 50 Series muffler and a K&N airfilter. Do you think this would cause this error or have any ideas what else would cause this error? Thanks for your help.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually had the exact same code a few months back on my wife's suburban. Turns out the catalytic converter went bad. Reach under your KJ and tap on the cat with a rubber mallet. If you hear any rattling from inside the cat, then it needs to be replaced. Not sure about the Jeep warranty, but my suburban had an 8 year / 80,000 mile warranty for the cat, so they replaced it at no charge. I had 78,800 on it - Just in time.

D-Rod

Reaction score
I had this same code when i first purchased my liberty back in May, it actually came on as i was pulling into my driveway. I took it back to the dealer and they said the catalytic converter was bad. It was still obviously under warrenty. They changed it out and i havent had a problem with that since.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, those would not cause any problems.

Pretty sure the kj has the same warranty when it comes to the cats. I think thats a pre-set warranty for all vehicles.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the kj has the same warranty when it comes to the cats. I think thats a pre-set warranty for all vehicles.

Yes, the 8/80,000 is a federally mandated warranty for cats and applies to all vehicles sold.

Dave

ptulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead. I have the same code, the cat doesn't rattle and I have replaced both o2 sensors. Does this mean the cat is bad or is there something else I can check? Thanks guys! Damn newbies, lol.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead. I have the same code, the cat doesn't rattle and I have replaced both o2 sensors. Does this mean the cat is bad or is there something else I can check? Thanks guys! Damn newbies, lol.

Fill us in a little bit more, like year/ mileage?? , did you have the code cleared afterwards??,( should rest after a while but?? ) you replaced both on the right side ??

ptulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fill us in a little bit more, like year/ mileage?? , did you have the code cleared afterwards??,( should rest after a while but?? ) you replaced both on the right side ??

It's an 05 sport with 62k on it. I had the jeep dealer I work for do the changing of the o2 sensors, same price if i bought one at the store. They said both are now replaced, not 100% sure what that means. They did clear the code and I drove around 350 miles before it came back on.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that was the code I had back in December
Dealer changed out the converter and it was still there
They changed the O2s and now I haven't gotten it since
Unless they put one or two faulty O2 sensors in there I would say it might be the converter unfortunately
I got lucky and got all of it replaced for free from my dealer

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 possible causes: bad oxygen sensor(s), bad cat converter, or a leak in the exhaust system. Having the same error code with old and new O2 sensors, you should be able to rule those out. Any exhaust leaks?

ptulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that was the code I had back in December
Dealer changed out the converter and it was still there
They changed the O2s and now I haven't gotten it since
Unless they put one or two faulty O2 sensors in there I would say it might be the converter unfortunately
I got lucky and got all of it replaced for free from my dealer

Damn you did get lucky getting them to do it all. I get a discount cause I work at a dealer, but still could be 1k. The two sensors were replaced, hopefully just have to do the cat. Which one did they replace? I see there could be 3?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure which one(s) they replaced
I was test driving it for a day and when I was about to pull into the driveway the CE light came on
Did research on here and found out the key trick and it said catalyst
Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the O2 sensors- no fix
Replaced a cat and all was good and has been since then *knock on wood*
They replaced it all without bumping up the price also, which was awesome

TedK

Reaction score
I have P0420 and P0430 codes on my 2007 KJ. The 420 code came up 2 years ago while it was still under the 80k mileage and the dealer told me to run Techron through a few tanks to clear the code. Well, that failed and their response was 'oh well, you're over the mileage now'. So, here I am with both banks having codes.
My question is: I see that an exhaust leak (thank you, CactusJacked) can be the cause. My muffler seam is wide open and loud. I know it's a leak in the exhaust system, but is this what's meant by "exhaust leak"? I could only hope a new muffler would fix having to replace both cats.
Thank you.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have P0420 and P0430 codes on my 2007 KJ. The 420 code came up 2 years ago while it was still under the 80k mileage and the dealer told me to run Techron through a few tanks to clear the code. Well, that failed and their response was 'oh well, you're over the mileage now'. So, here I am with both banks having codes.
My question is: I see that an exhaust leak (thank you, CactusJacked) can be the cause. My muffler seam is wide open and loud. I know it's a leak in the exhaust system, but is this what's meant by "exhaust leak"? I could only hope a new muffler would fix having to replace both cats.
Thank you.

An exhaust leak BEFORE the cats can affect their efficiency, as can a leak between the downstream O2 and the cat... if the leak is after the back most O2, then no... the engine couldn't care what goes on back there.

So the only DTC's you have are for bank 1 and 2 catalyst efficiency? How's it run otherwise?

TedK

Reaction score
JasonJ:
Thank you for the quick reply. I was hoping it would be a simple muffler issue.
It runs well otherwise. There is no hesitation, no misfiring, acceleration is fine.
I don't know when the 430 code showed up but I have noticed that during the last two tanks of gas my average mileage has dropped from ~20mpg to ~15mpg. I'm thinking the Ohio winter and 4-High might have something to do with that though.
Thank you.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JasonJ:
Thank you for the quick reply. I was hoping it would be a simple muffler issue.
It runs well otherwise. There is no hesitation, no misfiring, acceleration is fine.
I don't know when the 430 code showed up but I have noticed that during the last two tanks of gas my average mileage has dropped from ~20mpg to ~15mpg. I'm thinking the Ohio winter and 4-High might have something to do with that though.
Thank you.

Up here in mid michigan, when using 4 wheel full time, 15-16mpg is all that I get as well, in 2 wheel its often 18-19mpg. So that's not unusual.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only if you want a short term band aid fix that will never work.

There is only 1 way to really fix the cause of those codes and it's not cheap since you must replace the cats and if higher mileage best to replace all 4 OS sensors also.
It just so happens I know better .

Latest posts

Members online