Dumb coolant level question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What's the proper fill line for the coolant? I don't know if the arrow is pointing to the seam or the mark closer to the top (where I have it at). There's a tab there that almost looks like it's meant to be the line.

So should cold fill be at the blue line or red line? I feel like a dummy and I checked the manual, no help. Just want to make sure it's good.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My coolant res says "Cold" and has an arrow pointing up to the rib portion of the res where your "blue mark" is. I guess the upper line is for the "hot" expansion. I being **** outlined the word "cold" and the up-arrow with a magic marker some time ago cause I am old and sometimes I got CRS....(Can't Remember S**t)....LOL

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine's marked the same way, I was just thinking maybe that upper rib is what the arrow was pointing to?
Guess it might be time to suck some out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The cold ribbed section is a good place to be when really cold, 24 hours parked.
Then the jeep gets hot and Hoat rises so you do want some room, so then no overflows.
Was your jeep cold or hot in that photo you posted HJ?
If that was cold I would suction some out.
It does look like some is trying to escape,leak from hose at pressure cap fitting.
Here is a pic of mine when hot.
60228[/ATTACH]"]

Like to leave some room for Hoat expansion. :gr_grin:

Attachments

• u84z5Jc.jpg
    u84z5Jc.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 12

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That was with it warm...the drip is from me not being careful enough. I do know with it cold it's well above the seam...so I'll do that after it cools off. Thanks!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just like to add another stupid question to yours...maybe it is only CRD related but here is an issue I have with the metal pressure cap on top of the plastic reservoir.
The Service Manual for both my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD and the newer 2.8 CRDs have the same part number. The manual also states that the small circular flap at the bottom of the cap must "not be spring loaded...if it is spring loaded replace it at once with a non spring loaded cap".

My cap definitely has this circular flap on the bottom of the cap spring-loaded. I ordered a new one from the Dealers but inspected it first and it too had a spring loaded lower disc!

I am not having any heating issues and seldom have to top up the reservoir but this confuses me....I know there are lots of errors in the manuals mainly in the wiring diagrams so maybe this is one of them.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
HJ take a photo when it is cold then...

Bill..I thought they were all spring loaded...
Check flap or gasket tho..
60236[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Y3qIEsf.jpg
    Y3qIEsf.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 4

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Before:

After:

My cap is spring loaded too. The only thing I can think of as to why they'd say no spring loaded cap is if the KJ had an open cooling system (some 07s got it and maybe some CRDs or exports got them too), as you wouldn't want a cap on the rad and a second pressure cap on the expansion tank. My XJ and WK both have/had open systems, you have a radiator cap and then the expansion tank just has a plastic cap on it like the wiper fluid tank.

Last edited: