Drive train ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red450

Reaction score
My KJ has a tick somewhere in the front, I believe from the drive train. It does increase with speed but goes away when I shift into neutral, which explains why I never heard it while manually reving the engine at the TB.

Besides checking the driveshafts, is there anything else I should suspect?

2004 KJ
3.7L AT 4x4

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides the front driveshaft (especially the recessed CV at the Tcase end). I'd check the CVs on the front axle shafts too. Does it change with turning?

red450

Reaction score
Besides the front driveshaft (especially the recessed CV at the Tcase end). I'd check the CVs on the front axle shafts too. Does it change with turning?

No change with turning and no clunking or popping from the CVs when turning.
I checked the front and rear driveshafts, no play in them. However, I did notice
a leak at the pinion seal on the front diff. But no spots on my driveway, so either it isn't that bad or maybe only leaking at speed? I'll add that to the fix list.

I guess Jeep still stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. :rofl:

TomB985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ has a tick somewhere in the front, I believe from the drive train. It does increase with speed but goes away when I shift into neutral, which explains why I never heard it while manually reving the engine at the TB.

Besides checking the driveshafts, is there anything else I should suspect?

Unless you're in 4WD, the front driveline doesn't care if you're in neutral or not. Does it change when you get on or off the throttle?

red450

Reaction score
I think it's an exhaust leak. More Googling turned up similar threads on other forums.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's an exhaust leak. More Googling turned up similar threads on other forums.

Does it sound like it's coming from behind the dash? If so, check the connection of the exhaust downpipes to the exhaust manifolds.
Mine had some small leaks there a while ago. It took me forever to track it down... after I took pretty much the entire dash apart trying to find the source of the noise :insane:.

red450

Reaction score
It sounds more like it's under my feet. I know there is a leak near the muffler as well. I think it's time to just replace the whole system.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess Jeep still stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. :rofl:
Ah Ya... $$
62314[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Mine is on ignore, the valve ticking/ exhaust manifold leak I believe.. $$

Attachments

• hRmFLce.jpg
    hRmFLce.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 0

red450

Reaction score
Does it sound like it's coming from behind the dash? If so, check the connection of the exhaust downpipes to the exhaust manifolds.
Mine had some small leaks there a while ago. It took me forever to track it down... after I took pretty much the entire dash apart trying to find the source of the noise :insane:.

It was chilly this morning, so with the windows up, it does kind of sound like it's in the dash. I'll check that connection whenever I get around to changing the 02 sensors. Thx for the tip!

Latest posts

Members online