Draining gas tank...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to drop the gas tank to replace the fuel filter and need to know the easiest way to drain it. Currently it has half a tank in it so I'd rather not try a balancing act with the floor jack and 2"x12" until I get it drained some. Looked thru the FSM which speaks of an access plate that my 2002 seems to not have.

Read through a few posts by tjkj and it would seem I only need to lower the tank about 4-6 inches to get the job done. Thanks.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe get a siphon from Harbor Freight? Then again with the MPG's KJ's get, going there would be enough to drain it...

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree... just wait to do the job until you're near empty. Save you the hassel of draining it, flilling it back up, and making sure it doesn't get contaminated while it's sitting out.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Husband has to drop the tank to do the fuel pumps in his Astro vans... and swears by using ratchet straps to easily lower the tank. Says it's the easiest thing in the world.

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The problem with driving it to drain the tank is that it wants to keep dying out at lower RPM like while taking a sharp corner or at a stoplight. So that kinda limits my options. Doesn't flash any codes though, just kinda chokes out. Sometimes giving it more pedal will put it right back to normal.

I tried the old siphon method but didn't get very far due to the check valve (which if I'd have checked the FSM first I would have known about).

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you know it is the fuel filter? I thought the fuel filter was life of vehicle, not really heard of needs for it's replacement on KJ too often.
If it is plugged the injectors would loose pressure I believe.
Was pressure tested at rail?
Where is your idle dropping to before it dies?
The IAC controls idle and that can cause stalls if it's all carboned up or weak spring inside it, easy to remove and clean IAC: Read: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47972
Has the throttle body even been cleaned...a tune up like spark plugs all good?
Just some thinking out loud...

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know it is the fuel filter? I thought the fuel filter was life of vehicle, not really heard of needs for it's replacement on KJ too often.
If it is plugged the injectors would loose pressure I believe.
Was pressure tested at rail?
Where is your idle dropping to before it dies?
The IAC controls idle and that can cause stalls if it's all carboned up or weak spring inside it, easy to remove and clean IAC: Read: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47972
Has the throttle body even been cleaned...a tune up like spark plugs all good?
Just some thinking out loud...

I'll check that out tomorrow first thing...The stumbling starts anywhere under 2k rpms. Completely random and doesn't occur with any consistency. I has ran it a bit low on gas and after putting more gas in I pulled over to the air hose to air up the front tires and while doing so it just stumbled out and died. Thought WTF ?? Looked at dash no CEL or anything else, start it back up it idles fine then I pull into intersection and stoplight and while coming to stop for the light it stalls and dies again, it starts back up still no CEL.

Starting to get a bit worried at this point since it did drop a valve due to a broken valve spring and has a new long block in it (less than 5K on new motor), I'm wondering what are the odds of that happening again. So it drives regular for the rest of the errands I have to run while in town.

Next day I run back to town to grab some lunch and everything is fine till I get almost home and it starts stumbling and acting sluggish after two rather sharp 90 degree turns I have to make on my way home. One turn was left and the other right, was sluggish when applying the gas after completing the turn(s). Been sitting in the garage since awaiting judgement. Plugs are new NGK brand installed when the new motor went in.

Could be as simple as bad gas or as bad as the fuel pump going out. Saw that a few others had commented on how dirty their fuel filter was when examined during replacement so I thought I'd start there. Keep the ideas' coming !!!

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going through all the trouble of dropping the tank to change the filter might as well change the pump also.Do not get a airtek pump unless you want to change it again in a year.Delphi,OEM,AC Delco pumps only.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
x2 as above re pump.
Man I would try a few more things before assuming it is the fuel filter.
Stumbling below 2000 rpm....something is not right. -Have the codes read with a decent scanner even if if there is no CE light, by returning to place that did motor? they must have scanner.
If you are taking out the IAC and cleaning the port, do the TPS (throttle position sensor ) as well, which is located directly above the IAC. (white/yellowish connector)
It has a tang that has to be aligned, you will see it when you remove it. Mark the TPS with marker line across housing and TPS.(easier to install again)
Fuel injectors/fuel system cleaning-I use Chevron Techron fuels which contain techroline.
For that added cleaning, you can buy Techron in a bottle. This will clean the system well.
The bottle only covers just over 11 gallons so you can add two bottles to a full tank and take it for a good highway boogie, after cleaning the IAC and TPS.
40780[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

For pump lubrication twice a year I add some Lucas fuel treatment to the fuel with the techron. ( a few oz only) http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=2&iid=26
This is also good to use on new rebuilt as top-oil.
As a new rebuilt, I would also take plugs out myself check gaps & plug type and see how it is burning.

Attachments

• ChevronTechron.jpg
    ChevronTechron.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with TC, try fuel additives first. I had a similar problem (though not as bad), and additives , new spark plugs, and air filter fixed it.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this will work, but I think the fuel pump runs for a minute or two when you turn the key on. Disconnect the fuel line at the throttle body and run into a gas can. Might take a while to pump it all out.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this will work, but I think the fuel pump runs for a minute or two when you turn the key on. Disconnect the fuel line at the throttle body and run into a gas can. Might take a while to pump it all out.
KOEO the pump may run for 1-2 seconds until pressure is reached as the KJ uses a returnless system.

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the IAC out and cleaned it and the port good. In the link you posted earlier the IAC looks nothing like the one I have. Mine is an external shaft type and did not have any sort of plunger that I could tell, though when I saw it was different than the one posted I just cleaned it without doing a lot of poking and prodding at it.

I'll try and get the TPS done tomorrow then take it for a test drive and see how things work out.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, you must have a tube and the gas to go somewhere. The first form one end of the hose to the gas tank, as well as the gas pump goes in one end and suck until the gas can be in the mouth. Now hurry and place the other end of the container, unless you want on the floor. Make sure the tube is below the gas tank or the trick will not work. while cleaning you gas tank you might want to clean also your whole fuel system.for better speed and better mileage conditions, you may take these guide on how to clean a fuel system in proper way.
:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

Should try on a KJ sometime and report back about how well it works.