Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

Does anyone know the book time to replace a E-brake

This is a discussion on Does anyone know the book time to replace a E-brake within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
The dealer sent my Jeep to have the tranny looked at from 5/7-5/11 and have had it back since Saturday ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JasonJ
  • 1 Post By tjkj2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Does anyone know the book time to replace a E-brake

The dealer sent my Jeep to have the tranny looked at from 5/7-5/11 and have had it back since Saturday 5/12. The only job needing to be done is replacing the rear emergency/parking brake. I just spoke to the manager and he said it SHOULD be done tomorrow, 5/17, but I he'll get back to me after 12pm, which means ANOTHER day of a rental car, at least.

So does anyone know what the average book time to replace the rear drum ebrake is? I watched some youTube videos and people seem to have gotten in done in under an hour. Also wondering if any of you have done it yourself and how long it took so I can start raising hell as to why a fully equipped dealership can't get it done in 4 days.

Thanks-
GitEmSteveDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

It took me about 2 hours to do mine. It was a real PIA but shouldn't take longer than 2 hours or so, especially in a shop that has access to better tools than I have..

edit; this is assuming theyre only replacing the brake drum parts, not the whole cable setup as well.
Jeep KJ V6 Renegade 05, OME/Bilstein 2.5" Lift, ARB Front Air Lockers, ARB Bull Bar, ARB IPF HiD Lights 100W, Safari Snorkel, Grande Winch 12K, Maxxis 980 245/70/16 All Terrain, TX3400 GME UHF, Baintech Dual Battery System, JBA-A Arms, Mopar Skid Plates, Custom Roof Rack, Wanderer Side Awning.
Damotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by GitEmSteveDave View Post
The dealer sent my Jeep to have the tranny looked at from 5/7-5/11 and have had it back since Saturday 5/12. The only job needing to be done is replacing the rear emergency/parking brake. I just spoke to the manager and he said it SHOULD be done tomorrow, 5/17, but I he'll get back to me after 12pm, which means ANOTHER day of a rental car, at least.

So does anyone know what the average book time to replace the rear drum ebrake is? I watched some youTube videos and people seem to have gotten in done in under an hour. Also wondering if any of you have done it yourself and how long it took so I can start raising hell as to why a fully equipped dealership can't get it done in 4 days.

Thanks-
While I agree, it seems they've had the vehicle for a while, don't forget that yours is not the only vehicle in the shop, and you aren't aware of their staffing levels or other things that affect how quickly a vehicle can get in and out of the shop.

In some cases, they may have technicians that are specialized or the only ones trained in certain repairs or procedures, and that may tie those guys up for a while. Plus, if they had to sublet the transmission work, how busy is that other shop? Is it a smaller but more experienced shop with only 1-3 techs? That means the Jeep is going to sit there for a day or two before they can get a free lift to check it out.

It's not always as simple as drop it off, technician brings it in and works on only your vehicle and only until it's done.. dude needs to work on as many vehicles as he can in a day to make a living.. which means a specific vehicle may be brought in or pulled out of the shop a half dozen times over two or three days.
tjkj2002 likes this.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Damotee View Post
It took me about 2 hours to do mine. It was a real PIA but shouldn't take longer than 2 hours or so, especially in a shop that has access to better tools than I have..

edit; this is assuming theyre only replacing the brake drum parts, not the whole cable setup as well.

On Oahu, it took three weeks to get parts and a full week to install. I had to get the cables replaced to pass inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil + Neela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by GitEmSteveDave View Post

Thanks-
Depends.

The whole parking brake assembly requires the axles to be pulled and if I remember right it calls for about 3 hours,double that if replacing the cables also.

And JasonJ is correct your vehicle is not the only 1 being worked on.Some days I'm working on 5 or more vehicles at the same time.Then you got to think if they need to order the parts they have to wait just like you.
JasonJ likes this.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

My backer plates were still good so with standard brake tools I was like 1.5-2 hours working off floor with Jack stands.
I think they make aftermarket backer plates that don't require pulling axle? (Dorman?)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I feel like I never got across that the dealership had been jerking me around since a little after I pushed the cash across the cashiers counter. They have ~15 technicians and told me they ordered the ebrake parts from Jeep ~2 weeks before I brought it in because they had been ignoring me for a month.

I was just frustrated because they kept promising me they would call me at noon the next day and every day was me calling/emailing at 2-3pm and told the same thing for the next day and I was paying for the renal car.
GitEmSteveDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

They're probably waiting for parts. If the trans is done, I'd tell the dealer to stuff it and get your Jeep back. Do the parking brake yourself... its a DIY driveway/hand-tools job.

Hers: 2005 Liberty V6/6spd/NV242J/3.73/posi... 3" lift (Teraflex + KK forks + " cradle drop), RRO arms, 245/75R16s, 254,000km
Mine: 1993 W250 ClubCab Cummins/5spd/HX35/3" lift/35" tires/Lockright/extra smoke/more noise/371,000km
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote