Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

KJ General Discussion

DIY transmission flush?

This is a discussion on DIY transmission flush? within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
I have a ton of BG Automatic Transmission clean and I am due for transmission fluid and filter replacement. If ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default DIY transmission flush?

I have a ton of BG Automatic Transmission clean and I am due for transmission fluid and filter replacement. If possible i would like to do the fluid flush myself. I do not have a flush machine, but if I disconnect the return line on the transmission cooler and feed the transmission fluid to cycle through, I should be able to get all the fluid changed.

Does anyone here do this? the reason I am doing this instead of going to the dealership is they were charging 200 for a transmission service and they don't even change the filter.

my follow up question to this is should I use some of the BG ATC+ transmission cleaner before I change the filter and flush the system? I have had the jeep since 48,000 miles and I had the dealer do their transmission flush at 60k and 90k miles and I did the filter and what fluid was in the pan myself at 120k and replaced the factory pan with a PML pan.

thanks in advance for the help.

soon to be added: pioneer AVH-4201NEX, back up camera, mbrp muffler and tailpipe.
cplchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

The dealer needs to flash the PCM into fast learning mode after changing the transmission fluid. If you do it yourself, the transmission will shift really hard for a while because of the pressure change from the new fluid.
tommudd likes this.
BillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
The dealer needs to flash the PCM into fast learning mode after changing the transmission fluid. If you do it yourself, the transmission will shift really hard for a while because of the pressure change from the new fluid.
Never heard of such a thing. I've changes filters and fluid in my vehicles several times. They shift the same as they did before the change.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
rjkj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

sounds like fake news to me. I could see there possibly being a difference in a neglected transmission, but like I said, it's been changed every 30k miles.

soon to be added: pioneer AVH-4201NEX, back up camera, mbrp muffler and tailpipe.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to uss2defiant Send a message via MSN to uss2defiant Send a message via Skype™ to uss2defiant

i DIY my ATF exchange via the dip stick.
~170k Miles
My KJ youtube playlist for ref. https://tinyurl.com/jeepkj

uss2defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by cplchris View Post
sounds like fake news to me. I could see there possibly being a difference in a neglected transmission, but like I said, it's been changed every 30k miles.
It's actually listed in the service manual when changing the ATF in the trans.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Anyone able to edit that info out ?
JBA UCAs
JBA .25" top plates and .25" rings
245-70-16 Cooper AT3s
Aceofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
It's actually listed in the service manual when changing the ATF in the trans.
not in the 2006 service manual, maybe that was just standard procedure for the 02-04 KJ. Also, the FSM says to only use mopar ATF+4 approved fluid. the jeep dealer i was going to for service was using BG ATF, which i am sure is great stuff but it isn't MOPAR ATF+4 approved AFAIK. so if they weren't bothering to use the right fluid, I doubt that they would be taking enough care to flash it back into fast learn mode.

edit: it also says that a filter change should be performed at the time of fluid change, which they were also neglecting to do. they are essentially charging people $180 to do the same thing any Instant Oil Change shop would do.

Last edited by cplchris; 05-15-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

I found an old thread that talks about having the PCM reflashed after a transmission flush, but no clear decision of what to do if you just drop the pan and change the filters.

Transmission fluid change?
BillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

I found an old thread that talks about having the PCM reflashed after a transmission flush, but no clear decision of what to do if you just drop the pan and change the filters.

Transmission fluid change?
again, no clear answers to the original question posted in this thread.

the recommendation seems to be "take it to the dealer so it's done right"

well my dealership uses/used the wrong fluid, doesn't change the filter, and likely doesn't even think about doing a re-flash or re-learn.

then I'm seeing people say that as long as the flushes are done regularly (every 30k miles), then there isn't an absolute need for a re-learn.

so i'm thinking I will just abandon this thread, run the cleaner for 100 or so miles, change the filter, and flush the transmission myself by disconnecting the cooler return line. I'll see what i can do about the re-learn with the OTC scanner I have access to.