dimmer wire for light bar rocker switches?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
help!.gif ok so i am by no means an electrical guy, i just try to figure things out. but i've hit a snag and need some help.

so i recently picked up some 5 pin rocker switches for my light bar and rear work lights to replace the old round 3 pin switches that came with the lights. there were no instructions or jumper wires provided, but through some googling, i figured out the wires for each light switch: blue wire (battery), white wire (light), and black wire (ground). I made some little jumper wires and wired everything up according to this diagram that i found from another manufacturer:

You must be registered for see images attach

so once i did that, the lights were functional and all seemed well. as you can see, they have two LEDS in each switch, one upper, and one lower that comes on when the lights are activated:

However, I quickly realized that the upper light stayed on even when the vehicle was turned off (because it's wired directly to the battery/relay, I assume?). So, now I'm wondering how I can wire these switches to get that light to stay off when the vehicle is off?

And a related question - is there a way to wire the switches so the lights come on with my dash/instrument cluster lights? To this point, I read somewhere that I should be able to tap into the dimmer wire for the dash/instrument panel and run that as power to the switches, instead of directly from the battery/relay. As best I can tell from googling and looking quickly through the FSM, the dimmer wire is an orange wire with a brown stripe. I looked under the dash and found a wire that may be it - see below (can anyone confirm if this is the correct wire that I would need to tap into to make this all work?)

As always, I appreciate any help from those with more experience and expertise!

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt be excited to cut into that loom. The dimmer wire also goes to the radio to allow the factory radio to be adjusted with dash lights. I would start there and follow it back. Dimmer wire might jot work i assume it has varied voltage. Any pics of the lights?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to cut into that loom either. I would find an ignition switched circuit on the fuse box and use an add-a-fuse directly to the switch wiring or you can run a relay but those leds really aren't pulling any significant amount of power to require a relay.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to cut into that loom either. I would find an ignition switched circuit on the fuse box and use an add-a-fuse directly to the switch wiring or you can run a relay but those leds really aren't pulling any significant amount of power to require a relay.

thanks, that's a good thought - although last time I tried to use an add-a-fuse to hardwire my dash cam to the ignition, it never worked :happy175:

based on this, it looks like I could wire the rocker switches to fuse cavity 9 to be tied in with the instrument cluster, right??

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like 9 may be energized by the headlamp switch so that would work if you only want the leds on when your headlights are on.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes always wire through fuse block, you never wire directly since you want to make sure they are not on all the time. Seen a nice F150 back in the 70s burn to the ground being wired directly to battery, and well just wired wrong.
As we were watching it burned the owner explained how he wired it and why he did LOL