different size front tires and front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought an 06 at an auction yesterday. Could not drive it and did not notice until today that it has a 235/17 on the left front and 225/17 on the other corners. It should have 235 on it anyway. Runs great and shifts as it should but it has a constant front end noise at all speeds and turning left or right.
I have dealt with front driveshafts before and it does not follow those symptoms. I was thinking a hub but have not got it in yet. I know the previous owner drove it 50 miles to the sale and who knows prior. What are the chances the tires and the noise are related and what else should I be looking at ?
Thank you

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First need to have the same size tire on all 4 corners. Then can go from there. It's never a good idea to run different size tire on 4wd.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If it does it both ways ( turning ) most likely not wheel bearing although it could be. Most times a wheel bearing will make more noise turning one way or the other
I would start out checking all front end parts with CV on the right side along with intermediate shaft
Next would be the rear CV on the front driveshaft
Both of the above are cheap and easy fixes
CV from NAPA ( remanned one) Intermediate shaft should be 75-80 bucks plus CV 60
To repair front drive shaft ( driveshaftparts.com ) about 35-40 bucks
But start with those things, plus get all 4 tires same size and same tread depth

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally able toget back to this after another little repair. All four tires the same but the noise is still there. The hubs do not seem to have play in them with the wheels still on and raised up. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers front but tough to tell going down the highway.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally able toget back to this after another little repair. All four tires the same but the noise is still there. The hubs do not seem to have play in them with the wheels still on and raised up. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers front but tough to tell going down the highway.

What all have you really checked so far, gave you a list to start with

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tom , so far I have just been able to get a tire matched to the other 3 and check play on front hubs with the wheels bolted on. While underneath on a different fix I did not find anything that seemed out of line on the driveshafts. I have done a front before on our other liberty. What am I looking for and what procedures do I need to do front axles? I am guessing it will include pulling them out ? Will not be able to do much more for another week so I may just plan a day and try to do both sides at the same time .
Thank you

Danny_Hurst

Reaction score
Get one of those cheap Lazer thermometers. Drive it and get everything warmed up to temp. Then point the thermometer at the front wheel bearings, see if there's is one hotter than the other one. I bet the driver side bearing is the problem.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk