Did I just kill my IAC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well while I changed my oil, I decided to do something that's been long overdue.
Decided to take off my IAC and TPS and clean the ports while I was at it.. mostly because when I'm sitting still if I turn my wheel the RPMs neither raise nor drop..
The torx screws on both were extremely tight and I bent 2 bits trying to get them out.. Got the TPS out without ruining the screws, but both of the screws for the IAC stripped out, and I couldn't get it off.
Decided to try a couple of screw extractors to get them out and it didn't work. One of the extractors, I used a hammer to lightly tap it in so that it would get some bite..
But still didn't come out..
So I decided to leave the IAC, and clean the TPS opening and throttle body.. all went well with that I believe..
But when I put it all back together, and tried starting it up....nothing.
If I hold down the gas at all it starts right up and holds wherever I have the RPMs held down to, but if I let off the gas, it dies.
All vacuum lines and crankcase hoses are hooked up properly.. so it led me to believe I may have killed my IAC when tapping the screw extractor into the screws for it, or because of the vibrations of the drill I was using..
Though maybe I just flooded something with throttle body cleaner, but I'm not thinking that's the case.
I will say though that if I make it run for a minute by holding the gas, that the PVC hose where it meets the throttle body seems to be spitting out either throttle body cleaner or oil, but it's hard to tell from the residual oil that was in it...

Any ideas anybody? As it currently sits, I took it back apart, and now have the throttle body off, and I'm about to try a couple different methods to try to get the screws off the IAC.
Going to make a trip to the dealer in the morning for an IAC, but feel like they're going to have it on backorder, since they never have anything I need in stock...

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idle it at 1500 to 2000rpms. If you use slot of throttle body cleaner it is pooled up in the intake. And the plugs are wet. Hold that idle for a couple of minutes and see what happens.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try that again, but did twice and still no go.. I'll let you know after I put it back together and attempt this again.
It'd be really nice if it was that and not my IAC..
But either way I gotta figure out a way to get these screws out lol
Appreciate the quick reply though and I'll keep you posted.
If I can't get them out, just gunna put it back together and cross my fingers lol

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Either my IAC or my TPS has a fawked up screw, don't remember, left it be. Figured worst case I can get a junkyard TB for $60.

Wildebeest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd probably grind the screw heads off with a dremel to get the IAC off, then try and unscrew them. Worse case pick up a throttle body from the junk yard.

The idle staying steady when turning the wheels is normal, you don't want it surging up and down from a minor load..

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
OK gunner please lets clarify things now...
Is the TPS the damaged torx screws unit and the IAC you got out and..code after the plunger removal?

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir. Just to clarify for anybody who reads this from here on out, from the get-go I was referring to the sensors backwards.
As LibertyTC stated, my TPS is stuck with stripped out torx screws and I was able to remove the IAC, not the TPS, and clean behind it.
The TPS ended up being what I was afraid I ruined with the hammer/spray/drilling, but is still stuck.

The reason my IAC is bad, is because upon remove, i took it apart to clean it. Lol... don't do that.
Seemed simple enough, as the plunger easily unscrewed, and the lower half is all threads. Upon threading it back in after cleaning, it became stuck and now rather than pushing in and out. It just clicks if you push on the plunger.
The sleeve and spring around the plunger still move up and down freely, but the plunger no longer moves and is unable to be taken back off now.

Soooooo, in the matter of 5 minutes, I stripped out the TPS, and ruined the IAC. Go me!!
Failure to mention these two sensors correctly, was my own juvenile mistake and I thank anyone who helped for being patient and understanding.
I'll update on the morning as to the availability of the parts, and if the dealer doesn't have them, where I'll be looking to get them from.

Thanks all!

Ps. Before removing either of these, save yourself from running into the problem I'm having, and ask this guy^^^^ what you should do before just trying to take the screws out lol

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya using fine threads T-20 is not the best idea on a throttle body but it is what it is.
These sensors can be almost welded in place, especially if they have never been off before. The first removal time is the worst!
I Prepared for using PB blaster penetrating fluid, placing paper towels below to catch the mess.
Sprayed screws liberally & rear of units, where they mount to throttle body like 6 times over a few hours.
Then used a high power hair dryer to heat only where it mounts to throttle body (did not directly heat screws), before attempting to break free the screws.
Next is the tool department.
58021[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The T-20 bit is taped to restrict movement & to not allow it to fall out.
Keep it level and push in from back of ratchet, to keep pressure inwards towards screw before you break them free.
Note the T-20 bit is a Master craft Maximum hardened bit not a $1 one from Wallmart ok!
Always use new screws when re-installing.
I use a sniff or very tiny bit of anti-seize on last few threads of new screws, before re-installation.
Mopar TPS / IAC are the best way to go.

Attachments

• IAC%20Quarter%20Socket%20T%2020_1.jpg
    IAC%20Quarter%20Socket%20T%2020_1.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know both of those sensors on the TB use loctite on the threads.Best to try and remove said screws when the engine is hot.

Oh and never try to service the IAC,it's not serviceable and even cleaning it can ruin it.

And for the TPS you really should disconnect the battery for 10mins(touch both terminals together,disconnected from battery of course) to reset the learned TPS min/max setting since you will not get it back in the exact same position as before.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good info!^^ thank you.
So until I Christmas season ends and still have to buy presents for the January birthdays (including my girlfriends...shush, don't tell her lol) I probably won't have the 105 for a new iac until then, and don't want to go aftermarket.
So picked up a IAC and TPS from a junkyard that's like 800 feet from my house.. cleaned the IAC decently....without taking it apart this time :D

And she started right up and idles even better than before.

Weird part, the sensors came off the throttle body of the dead jeep like a charm. -_- like...reeeaaalllyyyy

Horner only charged me 10 bucks, and I gave him another 10 for the throttle body, figured might as well, it's off and in my hand.
So now for 20, I've got a spare TPS, working IAC, and spare throttle body (biggthumpup)

Checked the part number and stickers on the IAC before installing them to make sure they're the same,, but it came off an 02, and was under the impression I could only use an 03 IAC valve.. so I was expecting to put it on and it still die.. but sure enough.. vvrrroooommmm

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the TPS screws broke off when I had to replace it. I took the throttle body to a local machine shop that charged $10.00 to extract it for me (thank goodness the throttle body is so easy to remove in the Liberty!). Not looking forward to the IAC if we ever need to remove it. Your deal on a used throttle body was a no brainer even if you didn't have to use it (No junkyards like that around here any more).

Scott

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one of the best parts of living in the sticks in the junkyards.. we may not have the best selection in local parts stores or dealerships, but we sure as heck have junkyards lol.. I know a few family's who have their own private junkyards. One about 3 miles away that doesn't even have a name, it's just a 200 acre plot on the side of the hill stocked with cars that date back to the 40s.. pretty much all rotted to hell as you'd imagine, but they're there!

Lol honestly I still haven't dealt with the TPS screws simply because my garage is being consumed by my mustang and it's parts lol, and been too cold to feel like messing around in the slippery-as-heck driveway.
Might go over and steal a spot in my grandparents garage to get the job done soon though :D

Latest posts

Members online