Cylinder Numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone confirm?

Driver's side would be 1-3-5 from the front to the back (1 near radiator, 5 near firewall)
Passenger's side would be 2-4-6 (2 near radiator, 6 near firewall)

I have a misfire on #3, and I want to make sure I check the correct cylinder ;)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

So, at 36k I replaced the original NGK's with Autolite double platniums. This was Fri. I took it for a short (~1.5 mile) drive to get the tires rebalanced. Seemed to idle a little rough, but I thought it was my imagination.

Didn't drive it the rest of the weekend. This morning, I fire it up to leave for work and it's idling really rough. Before I can even pull out of the garage it throws a CEL.

I make sure all coil packs are firmly seated and that the wiring harness is firmly connected. All looks fine. I absolutely have to get to work this morning and can't be any later, so I say F-it and drive the 27 miles to work. Seemed to do OK, but idling rough and it'd stumble once in a while when cruising.

I leave work and it's running pretty rough. I get it to Autozone on the way home and have them scan it - Cylinder 3 misfire. Of course they don't have any double platniums in stock, so I buy a single and get it home.

I inspected the coil pack, looks good. That's good news, I was afraid I damaged it somehow. Swapped out the (new - <100 miles) double platnium plug for the brand new single and it runs perfect.

So, thanks Autolite! At least it was an easy fix. Just been having car issue after car issue lately. They say they come in threes, and this was the third. I am hoping this is it!!!!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, P.S. - at 36k those NGK's sure were worn! Big groove down the center electrode! You guys aren't joking when you say to change them at 30k!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldhope so. 71k and they are probably horrible.

at 36k, mine had a groove worn in the center electrode that ran from the prong to the opposite side of the plug. On the electrode near the prong the edges were severely worn away - it was rounded and no longer a nice crisp "cylinder" shape on the center electrode.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not too uncommon to get a bad plug in a set - I bought six when I changed mine a couple of months ago and the one I put in #5 was buggered so I put one of the old ones back in until I could go to the store and buy a replacement. At least they're cheaper than a new coil :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.