CV axle change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
I bought a new CV axle from NAPA and for some reason this CV axle looks shorter than the one I'm going to replace.. I wont know for sure till I get the old one out and compare the two- but the bar in the middle on the new one is about 4 inches mabey.. the one on the old axle is about 6-8 inches in length (visible length). I'm replacing the passenger side CV axle.

that aside.. The new axle didn't come with the ring you clip on the end of the splines (do ours even have this?) that connects to the differential.. according to the paper that came with the axle.. a new ring must be purchased.. so the question is- what the hell am I suppose to purchase LOL

I know the Jeep can be driven without the CV axle(s) (I think?), so what I might do is just pop the old one out and compare the two and make sure they're equal in length.. this new one just looks different. hope they didn't order the wrong part. and while the old one is out- take that ring and go to the parts store and match it up with a new one. and if this axle is in fact incorrect.. well I'm gonna have to drive around minus 1 CV axle. I think they may have ordered the drivers side axle instead of the passenger side.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you get the remanufactured CV's from Napa... or new? The remanufactured ones are the correct size/length.

The c-clip for the intermediate shaft can be purchased through your dealer... just a few bucks, if I recall correctly. I have an extra one - PM me if you want it, otherwise I can find the Mopar part number for you.

The drivers side and passenger side CV axles look a lot different - the drivers side does not have an area for an intermediate shaft. It has it's own shaft that goes into the differential already... so, I'd think you would know the difference. I wish I had a picture of the pair, but I don't.

Here's one from the CV how to - this is the drivers side CV.
You must be registered for see images attach

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post the Part # for the C-Clip anyways? probably going to have to order a couple myself...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
No problem.

Mopar calls it a 'axle shaft snap ring'. Part #05066064AA

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're replacing the right side CV make sure you check the intermediate shaft really well, that's where the problem starts where the two come together

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will that part number work or both the driver side cv and the clips on the intermediate shaft on the passenger side? So you would need 3 total?

Midgear

Reaction score
Did you get the remanufactured CV's from Napa... or new? The remanufactured ones are the correct size/length.

The c-clip for the intermediate shaft can be purchased through your dealer... just a few bucks, if I recall correctly. I have an extra one - PM me if you want it, otherwise I can find the Mopar part number for you.

The drivers side and passenger side CV axles look a lot different - the drivers side does not have an area for an intermediate shaft. It has it's own shaft that goes into the differential already... so, I'd think you would know the difference. I wish I had a picture of the pair, but I don't.

Here's one from the CV how to - this is the drivers side CV.

I bought the NEW CV axle, not remanned. is this good or bad? and yes I understand what you're saying. the passenger CV axle has a "female" connection where it connects to the differential? That's what mine looks like. but for some reason it just looks overall shorter than the old one that's going to be replaced. But hell I could be wrong.

thanks for the correct part NAME and number. I'll go see if I can't find one tomorrow.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check it real close
I only install rebuilt CVs from NAPA since I know they are correct plus for 55 bucks can't beat them!
Are you replacing the intermediate shaft as well?
The right CV connects to the intermediate then it connects to the diff
CV and intermediate shaft

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
no, just the CV axle.. it makes metal clinking sounds when turning to the right and sitting still.. and the boot looks really worn.

what's the down side to getting NEW vs remanned?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
no, just the CV axle.. it makes metal clinking sounds when turning to the right and sitting still.. and the boot looks really worn.

what's the down side to getting NEW vs remanned?

I would get a new intermediate shaft as well. They rust between the two and that makes it wear faster and could very well be where the noise you hear is coming from. I would not replace one without the other, cheap insurance.
I like remanned due to the fact you know for sure they are the correct length. Some of the imported ones are not the correct length. Not sure if NAPA is using those or ??

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've always kept the same intermediate shaft (mostly because it wasn't visually worn), but always replaced the clips. I agree that a new one would be better insurance. I didn't have the extra funds at the time... and so far, so good. :eek: It will be replaced with the next round of CV joints.

Midgear

Reaction score
how much is a new intermediate shaft? and if I'm doing that, hell I might as well replace the driver side CV too lol.. if I was rich i'd buy one a' those thar fancy steel front diffs (they got those built yet?) along with the new shafts.

yea.. might as well. my shaft that's making ruckus isn't any urgent matter right now, but it is time to consider replacement, which I am doing. so it can wait till I get the other axle and intermediate shaft.

what would you guys rate this job as, in difficulty?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I know someone who paid around $200 for a new intermediate shaft from the dealer. :eek: But, I believe ericautopart here on JKJ has connections to cheaper ones... I would check with him. I wish he was around the last time I did my CV's.

It's not all that difficult to do - even easier if you don't have a lift because you won't have to remove the front spring assemby to pull the CV joint out of the diff.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does Napa have intermediate shafts? If they do, does anyone have a part number?

Do those shafts from ericautopart have the clips on them already?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Got one from Eric,$62 or $72,came with clips on it. Call or E-mail,he is easy to deal with.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The ones from Eric are cheap, and why not install when you're in there, cheap insurance that nothing will happen for quite a while then. If you have noise now at least pull the old one out before it does any major damage. Think of the flopping around it is doing in there!:eek::D

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow on LOST welded intermediate and CV into one piece,seemed to work.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellow on LOST welded intermediate and CV into one piece,seemed to work.
And will not last as those 2 parts are heat treated and he killed the heat treating(which gives strength) making both pieces very weak.

Forget about returning for a core after welding also and you have to buy a new intermediate shaft to boot anyways.