A couple quirks with a new to me KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 KJ with 3.7L and NSG370 6spd

Quirk 1: Transfer Case sensor is off. Part Time is lit up whil in 2wd, light goes off in 4wd, and 4Low light comes on in N. It remains on for 4Low. Is the sensor bad or can it be popped back into position?

Quirk 2: Speedometer reads 5-6mph high at highway speeds. The original tire size is 225/75R16, the jeep came with 245/70R16 on it. If anything, the speedo should read low. I verified this with my GPS. To do 70mph, the speedo needs to read 75.

Thanks

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually most speedometers read a bit high so that you do not get pulled over for speeding when driving exactly on the speed the speedo is reading out.
The Dealers can correct the readout...called a "pinion" reset I believe.

My transfer case, Command Trac, on my 2002 Export CRD 5 speed manual does not have any lights working but I am pretty sure that I pulled some wires off recently when I had to do some fast grab on the handle to put the Jeep into Low full time...I need to pull the console over the lever to have a look!

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will have to call the dealer in town and see how much they'd charge for that. Hopefully it's not too outrageous.

My liberty has the NV241genII in it. I didn't realize the console has to be removed to reach that switch. Gross.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's several how-to's on how to change the position sensor. it's not that bad.
as for the speedo, join the club.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speedometers are also not calibrated at that high of a speed. Believe it or not, most if not all are still calibrated at the old US highway speed limit of 55mph. The percentage that they are off goes up as speed increases.

Not at all unusual to be 5mph off at 70mph. When I worked a dealer service dept, people would complain about this on their VW's all the time... well, actually they would say "My speedometer is not correct. It reads high. If it says I'm going 95, my GPS says it's really like 90 or 91.."

Me: "Yeah... I can't have my tech drive that fast to replicate your concern, so....... bye?"

At 70, would not shock me to learn it being off by 3-5mph. I think mine is off by about 1-2, a needles' width on the gauge perhaps. Not enough for me to care, and certainly enough to be within the margin of error for a human reading an analog gauge.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My speedo is off through the whole range. To go 40mph, I have to put the needle on 45.

I'll look for one of those write ups.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know it's off?

OP said compared it to a GPS reading.

GPS readings will always and forever be more accurate than the mechanical/electrical speedometers... but consider that NO SPEEDOMETER is calibrated to a GPS reading.. so a GPS compared to a vehicle will always be different.

Granted, some vehicles are more accurate (again, depending on speed), but most all are off by some degree.

If the OP's speedo is off at every single speed throughout the driving range, something else is off... wrong signal from speed sensor, work or incorrect tires or wheel diameters, that sort of thing.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know it's off?
GPS, radar, getting passed by EVERYONE and not knowing why.

OP said compared it to a GPS reading.

GPS readings will always and forever be more accurate than the mechanical/electrical speedometers... but consider that NO SPEEDOMETER is calibrated to a GPS reading.. so a GPS compared to a vehicle will always be different.

Granted, some vehicles are more accurate (again, depending on speed), but most all are off by some degree.

If the OP's speedo is off at every single speed throughout the driving range, something else is off... wrong signal from speed sensor, work or incorrect tires or wheel diameters, that sort of thing.
My 90 XJ is pretty much dead nuts on. Maybe it's because the speedo is cable driven, maybe it's just luck.

But yes, everything is off. The PO put slightly larger tires on it, but that should make the speedo read slow. I guess I just need to lift it and throw 35s under there :D

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woops my bad... GPS is very accurate as long as the signal is good. The vehicles I've checked against GPS are all off by 2-3 mph above about 35-40 mph. Speedo reads faster than you are going like yours. I always thought that it was some sort of conspiracy. Around here we're usually traffic limited so I just go with the flow.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woops my bad... GPS is very accurate as long as the signal is good. The vehicles I've checked against GPS are all off by 2-3 mph above about 35-40 mph. Speedo reads faster than you are going like yours. I always thought that it was some sort of conspiracy. Around here we're usually traffic limited so I just go with the flow.

It's all good.

We are not usually traffic limited, here. I usually go with what feels good for the conditions yet speed limit or under. I'd prefer to not give a forced donation to the state...

Latest posts

Members online