Is this coolant line clamp in the right place?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's cold in my area lately, so I have actually been using my heat. I have also noticed my coolant level dropping.

I was driving to get an oil change today, and as I left a gas station, I turned my heat on. About 1/2 mile down the road at a stop light, I noticed steam pouring out from my drivers side. I pulled over and by the time I got under the hood, I couldn't see much of a source except for some dripping on a line under the coolant tank close to the firewall.

When I got home I took a closer look and noticed that there are indents on the end of the hose, but the clamp is about 2"+ down the hose from the marks. Also, I have what looks like dried coolant marks on top of the back ignition coil. Is it possible when I had my radiator, water pump and T-stat replaced that the mechanic took off the tank and didn't put the clamp back in the right spot? Could this also be where I have been losing fluid from, as I think this leads to the heater core?

You must be registered for see images attach

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. the clamp is not on. you can see the indentation on the hose where it was previously. should be an easy fix.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's cold in my area lately, so I have actually been using my heat. I have also noticed my coolant level dropping.

I was driving to get an oil change today, and as I left a gas station, I turned my heat on. About 1/2 mile down the road at a stop light, I noticed steam pouring out from my drivers side. I pulled over and by the time I got under the hood, I couldn't see much of a source except for some dripping on a line under the coolant tank close to the firewall.

When I got home I took a closer look and noticed that there are indents on the end of the hose, but the clamp is about 2"+ down the hose from the marks. Also, I have what looks like dried coolant marks on top of the back ignition coil. Is it possible when I had my radiator, water pump and T-stat replaced that the mechanic took off the tank and didn't put the clamp back in the right spot? Could this also be where I have been losing fluid from, as I think this leads to the heater core?

Shouldnt there be 2 clamps?

Make sure the engine is cold when you do this!

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I went back under the hood today while she was cold and I could feel around better. I could def feel that the clamp is not on anything but hose, and cold feel the nipple underneath where the indents are in the hose towards the firewall. I could also reach underneath and feel a clamp on the hose next to it, and kind of see indentations on the hose, but the clamp is like the clamp you can see, and about 2-3" from the nipple. Both hoses terminate on the other end with a crimped metal connector.

So am I correct that both those clamps should be on hose over the nipples of what I assume is the heater core? I'm gonna stop by my mechanic tomorrow morning and ask him, and have him give the system a once over, as it should have been done correctly when I had the work done.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, those are the connections for the heater core. No, the clamps are not on properly. The clamps are to hold the hose on the nipples for the heater core so that they, 1) don't leak, 2) don't come off. They need to be put back to where the indentions are on the hoses.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't even think those hoses are on all the way. I don't think you should be seeing that much of the nipples.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o.0

maybe call your mechanic to come by and fix it or have them tow it to their shop.

I've been driving around like this for months, judging by pictures I took after I replaced my plugs and coils which show the clamp in the same spot in mid-September. I doubt an extra day is gonna kill her, especially since she is still holding fluid and has not gone over 218 in the past few months.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I was freaked out enough that I went out and removed the coolant tank and the intake hose and got access to the clamps. Damn, those things are tough. Is there a special tool I should keep my eye out for because even with two different pairs of Gerbers and a small vice grip, they were a "female dog" to hold onto open and slide on, but I did it?

I even made sure to push them forward before letting the tension off. Since I won't be going to my mechanic now, is there any other clamps I should look to make sure they are on that might have possibly been loosened?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good. They make special pliers for them, called cable pliars I think. What work did you have done? I’d check the upper and lower radiator hoses.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good.

Depends on what work was done but it shouldn't be too hard to do a quick self inspection of the other hose clamps.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. They make special pliers for them, called cable pliars I think. What work did you have done? I’d check the upper and lower radiator hoses.

I had the Radiator(and hoses) done in May, Waterpump + T-Stat in September, and Passenger Upper Control Arm in late July.

I think any three of those could have had them disconnect the hoses and coolant tank, especially the Upper Control Arm, because the bolt for it is right under that area, and they may have needed a longer arm ratchet for torque.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are the ones I have: https://store.snapon.com/Hose-Clamp-Pliers-Pliers-Hose-Clamp-Remote-P648444.aspx

Can get cheaper ones. Just google "hose clamp pliers"

I didn't realize the part at the end of the cable was the thing compressing the clamp, and not the jaws. I had to watch a video or two to understand how they work. Not sure I can justify spending ~$20 on a set if I might never need them again. Though after taking off the coolant tank, I might need a set of deep sockets, as my normal ones JUST made it by not seating the ratchet head in the socket.