confusing po442 medium evap leak code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have checked every square inch of the evap system. i even had a friend of mine hook up a diagnostic computer to see where the leak was coming from and he didnt find anything. i looked it up in the haynes service manual. it doesnt say much about it. it tells me that the fuel vapor canister could be the culprit.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this same code and have for a few weeks now. It's annoying me because I can't find the leak.

As others suggested to me, check your gas cap. If it is loose or if the little gasket thing around the edge is erroded a little, it could be throwing the code.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its throwing a new code now. P0455 evap control system leak detected. (No purge flow or large leak)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You probably have a dry rot crack in one of the lines back at the EVAP canister.
Also check PCV & Lines there.
Someone who has an auto smoke machine is necessary if cracked line cant be found.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem recently. I had P0456 - small evap leak. These 2 vacuum lines had some etched and cracked spots on them (right where the arrow is pointing).

You must be registered for see images attach

There was a definite hole in each of those plastic lines. Here is the short section that I cut out of each of them.

Here is a pic of them after splicing with rubber vacuum hose. 5/16" and 7/16" hose worked perfect for a good snug slip fit over the existing plastic tubes. Should not have any leaks (at least here any more)

Problem solved for me. Check your lines and see. There is also a small similar line under the Jeep in the rear headed to the gas tank. Check there for cracks too.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all those hoses the last rime i got the p0442 code and that fixed the problem for about 2 months then i got the cel for the same code last week couldnt find where the leak was coming from. So i just cleared it and now it came back yesterday

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that some after market gas caps dont seal well, had return them and get a locking dealer cap, that 442 code I have not seen since.

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had this same problem, my friend Harold took the purge solenoid out and blow some conduction out of the purge solenoid with an air chuck. He told me that moisture gets in the purge solenoid from time to time. I, have not had a problem with it after that. But, I have got a new purge solenoid just in case for the furture. It is a dealer only part cost me $57.50 with shipping.