Clanking noise in 4wd after replacing hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
Just replaced front hubs in 2006 Jeep Liberty and now it makes clanking noise while turning, left or right, when in 4wd, only while turning, quits after completing turn. Doesn't make noise in 2wd. By process of elimination, possibly something to do with CV shafts? Did I possibly separate one?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just jack it up and start checking everything you touched or brushed up against. You'll hopefully find that AHH-HAA moment most times

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
Yeah, jacked it up in center, both wheels in air, spun wheels, turned wheels. Just pissed off now, so close to end of projects and going 'wheeling.

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
All that stuff turns whether in 2 or 4 wd.

Alright, knew that, duh. If it's all spinning, why only while in 4wd and while turning. Not clicking like a bad CV joint, more like clanging like a bell, sounds like/acting like gears skipping.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd double check that the CVs are in all the way. Also, did the ball joint heat shields by chance get pinched? Mine did once after having the knuckle off and made a bell like noise.

What brand of hub did you get? I wouldn't rule out new ones being bad...Timkin (increasingly offshoring though) or SKF (OEM) are the best. I fully understand that it's spinning in 2WD too but being underload in 4WD could make a difference. If it wasn't there before the hub swap, then I think you got a bad hub.

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
Alright, tore driver's side down to hub, removed hub from knuckle and cv shaft to check proper fitment/installation, test drove and same issues, still no issues in 2wd. Sounds more like chain skipping.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think this may be tcase related, is this the 231 PT 4wd or 242 Tcase with PT and FT 4wd? Have you checked the fluid level in the tcase?