Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

KJ General Discussion

Cigarette Lighter not working

This is a discussion on Cigarette Lighter not working within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I searched and found directions to check the fuse...I did, it looks fine. ...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cigarette Lighter not working

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I searched and found directions to check the fuse...I did, it looks fine. I tried a spare and also the fuse for the rear outlet...but none worked.

Anyone have this problem before?

I use it to charge the cell phone and power a GPS on trips.
dschae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lima.Charlie

Have you pulled the face off and made sure that it is making contact with your plug? Sometimes they get loose and dont make contact.

WWW.2CGC.NET
Lima.Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

I did try several plugs, so I think my next step is to try and remove the outlet for inspection, see if I can determine the problem.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by dschae1 View Post
I did try several plugs, so I think my next step is to try and remove the outlet for inspection, see if I can determine the problem.
I would pull the fuse and clean it real good, maybe even sand the contact points, then replace fuse and check again.
tboneil24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah, i have that problem too. It dosent stick in and hold itself in there, or it dosent get hot at all. It gets a little warm after holding it for a whole. This is what I did to fix it, took the change out of my pocket, and bought a bic. Seems to work well for me :
) but seriously, a lighter is easier, buy a DJEEP lighter, good company name as well as a lighter that will last a long time. Sold at most gas stations
-4" Lift
-F/R Recovery Points
-Stock Engine Skid, Skid Row Transmission Skid

Vranes17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Vranes17 View Post
yeah, i have that problem too. It dosent stick in and hold itself in there, or it dosent get hot at all. It gets a little warm after holding it for a whole. This is what I did to fix it, took the change out of my pocket, and bought a bic. Seems to work well for me :
) but seriously, a lighter is easier, buy a DJEEP lighter, good company name as well as a lighter that will last a long time. Sold at most gas stations
I'm not a smoker. I use this as a power outlet for electronic devices. Actually, the car did not even come with the actual cigarette lighter part.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ptsb5a

If the fuse is good and there is still no power at the socket, remove the socket, use a multimeter and check for 12Vdc at the input to the socket and use a "good" ground. Could be that the ground point is corroded a little or broken and is preventing current flow.

Ian

Wrecked

Everytime you call your Jeep a "car", God kills a kitten (or puppy). Please remember the kittens (or puppies).
ptsb5a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by ptsb5a View Post
If the fuse is good and there is still no power at the socket, remove the socket, use a multimeter and check for 12Vdc at the input to the socket and use a "good" ground. Could be that the ground point is corroded a little or broken and is preventing current flow.
I agree this will be my next step...was hoping to avoid taking the panel off to get at it.

Has anyone taken apart this section of your dash before?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Most of the time is a loose connection or dirty, rusted, corroded, insides of the socket. I usually pull the fuse and use a battery terminal brush and/or a plumbers brush for similar sized copper fittings and scrub it out good.

That piece of the dash comes out easy, remove the screw bottom center, you didn't mention what year you have but if you have the ashtray to the left of the lighter then remove that and remove screw behind it, or if your like mine and just have the little storage spot there just remove the screw. The then whole trim piece pulls off, start around the radio and use a trim tool or a plastic spatula and work around and pop it out a bit at a time.
kb0nly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
.... you didn't mention what year you have ..
It's a 2004 Liberty Limited. I don't have an ashtray, so I think removing the single screw is all it takes. I found this video, but my dash looks a little different, but no so much that this is the way to get at it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmdy1iLyx4