check engine light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003jeepliberty

Reaction score
I have a 2003 liberty, my check engine light would flash then go off when driving. Couple weeks ago it stayed on and read out was "misfire". Had the spark plugs replaced and gas treatment done. Light is now flashing again 3-4 times when driving then goes off??

adamalsnayyan

Reaction score
STOP throwing parts at it yet. Take it to Autozone, have them do an OBDII scan on it, find the problem, THEN throw the parts at it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
STOP throwing parts at it yet. Take it to Autozone, have them do an OBDII scan on it, find the problem, THEN throw the parts at it.
They give you a code(s) and try to sell you what it could be.Just because it states P0301(misfire cylinder #1) does not mean a spark plug or coil is bad,there are many other issues that could be wrong.A real diagnoses is needed tro save from just throwing parts at it,but yes a diag costs between $100-$150 plus parts/labor for the repair but more then worth it in the end.

Get a EVAP system small leak code and they will try and sell you a gas cap.I have yet to diagnose a EVAP small leak code that turned out to be a bad gas cap and I've done alot of those EVAP leaks diags.Most have been leaking vent solinoids.

adamalsnayyan

Reaction score
They give you a code(s) and try to sell you what it could be.Just because it states P0301(misfire cylinder #1) does not mean a spark plug or coil is bad,there are many other issues that could be wrong.A real diagnoses is needed tro save from just throwing parts at it,but yes a diag costs between $100-$150 plus parts/labor for the repair but more then worth it in the end.

Get a EVAP system small leak code and they will try and sell you a gas cap.I have yet to diagnose a EVAP small leak code that turned out to be a bad gas cap and I've done alot of those EVAP leaks diags.Most have been leaking vent solinoids.

When did I ever say, "Get the free CEL scan then buy what they tell you to buy and that will fix the problem"? Did I not just say, "STOP throwing parts at it..."?

The code tells you where your problem is located, then you go there and diagnose it yourself and/or research what could help you. The code is what it is. If there wasn't a problem, it wouldn't be throwing that code. The code is essential to an efficient and cheap diagnosis and repair.

If you are having a misfire, it could be a coil, it could be a spark plug, it could be an injector, or it could be bad wiring, connections or a module which controls these three essential and main parts. You can pay someone $200 to run the CEL scan and unplug injectors and coils for you, or you can get a free CEL scan from Autozone, do some research, unplug some injectors and find the problem yourself.

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience it turned out to be a broken valve spring that dropped the valve and grenaded the engine. Not saying that's the condition you have with yours, but when mine started flashing I was on the interstate and by the time I could get pulled over the damage was already done. Might be worth it to let the pro's take a look at it, might be nothing then again it might not, nothing says you have to let them do the work if you can do it yourself cheaper, but how much is "piece of mind" worth.