Cheap Fix for Transfer Case Cable Bushing/Clip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the plastic Bushing/Clip that holds the shifter cable onto the transfer case popped of, I checked Moparts America and did not like the ~$50 price tag for a complete assembly. Determined to not pay out that much money, I explored a cheaper fix. The shaft is hardened and would be a pain to anneal, drill, and tap for a retaining screw. So I headed for ACE hardware. Checking out the boxes of small hardware items, I saw a Stainless Steel 1/4" Axle Snap Nut. Bought it for $0.38 and headed home.
You must be registered for see images attach

Held it in place and snapped it onto the lever, good to go.

May the Bean Counter who decided to not sell the replacement Bushing/Clip go pound sand.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this and it is now a "sticky".

Dave

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice fix

Don't you love it when your on a MacGyver trip to the hardware store and the clerk asks you "What are you looking for." And you reply "I don't know yet."

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't you love it when your on a MacGyver trip to the hardware store and the clerk asks you "What are you looking for." And you reply "I don't know yet."

:happy107:

It get's even better when the guy asks you to describe what you want to do so that e can help you!
Oh! the look on there faces :pp: just makes my day!

Jax2A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice fix

I was wandering the hardware aisle at Home Depot last night holding my broken window regulator bracket trying to find a cheap fix. Store guy walks up and asks me "What are you looking for?". I replied "Inspiration".

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well what was the fix for the window regulator??!?!?! I just posted a new thread looking for a MacGyver solution!

Shima

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was looking at this fix for my 2003 Renegade, but the black part that fits over the bushing has fallen out as well. I picked up the bushing from the Chrysler dealer, and popped it on the lever the cable attaches to. Anyway, without the black piece in the end of the cable I am stuck with no option but to buy a new or used cable. Does anyone know a good retailer for the transfer case shifter cable? I've tried Advanced Auto, and AutoZone with no luck. There are some sites online, but the least expensive I've found is $170. I appreciate any help with this one.

When the plastic Bushing/Clip that holds the shifter cable onto the transfer case popped of, I checked Moparts America and did not like the ~$50 price tag for a complete assembly. Determined to not pay out that much money, I explored a cheaper fix. The shaft is hardened and would be a pain to anneal, drill, and tap for a retaining screw. So I headed for ACE hardware. Checking out the boxes of small hardware items, I saw a Stainless Steel 1/4" Axle Snap Nut. Bought it for $0.38 and headed home.

May the Bean Counter who decided to not sell the replacement Bushing/Clip go pound sand.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep would go into 4 wheel, and stay there, even after I shifted it back to 2 WD. "Until I hit a bump in the road". So I crawled under it tonight, put my hand on the the connector, and the bushing crumbled into little pieces. My temporary MacGyver fix was using a rubber grommit a washer and a "C" clip, to hold it on. Guess I'll buy a dozen of those plastic bushing things, and keep them in the glove box...

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score

so is this like the things that snap onto the end of a childs tricycle axle?

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nylon Bushing

I bought a 5/8" od x 3/8" wide nylon bushing with a 1/4" hole and a 1/16" diameter wire clip from Home Depot. I drilled out the hole to 5/16" diameter, inserted the bushing in the shift cable, pushed the bushing over the stud and retained it with the wire clip. IIRC, total cost about $1.50. Works great as my 4x4 engages properly. Several retention methods can be used to hold the bushing & cable in place (clip, tricycle type end cap, e clip, etc.) Sorry that someone took advantage of the original poster.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a rubber flange nut and a JK bushing. After 2.5 yrs, 3 tcases, and 2 linkages later she's holding up nicely.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

In the pictures it "looks" like it's going to pop off, but that thing has a death grip. I'll try to get the Ace part number for the rubber piece, which was a threaded rubber flange nut. I slightly drilled the brass insert to slide over the nipple, and then used the JK bushing to snap onto the nipple which holds everything on. There's absolutely zero play in any of it, and the rubber flange nut fit the hole on the linkage perfectly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online