Cheap AC Bypass **PICTURE**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gijoe31484

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently my AC clutch seized up on me and I figured out a new route for the serpentine belt.
If your freezes up and you can't afford to get it fixed...use these instructions on this link to get your pulley and clutch off. I didn't have the pulley puller so i used a pry bar, hammer, a bit leverage, and lots of redbull:p.

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/03/2002-jeep-liberty-intermitent-ac.html

The belt you will need is a 6-rib 82.5 inch length. $28ish=D>

The attached picture shows the new route. I checked, and everything turns the right direction and I even did a 35 mile round trip right afterwards with no problems. You could probably use up to an 83.5 inch length because my tensioner pulley is at about 75% capacity....it should stretch out a little bit though. =D>

Attachments

• newserproute.jpg
    newserproute.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,259

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks GI joe. Bookmarked this thread. Always helps to have a picture.

deadstar717

Reaction score
GIJoe,

I see that this post is a year old, but the AC Comp just seized up on my '02 Liberty 2WD Sport. I just want to be sure on the belt size... it sounds like 82.5" worked for you, but was your Liberty an '02?

Thanks,

David

simond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice hint... will consider thaht when the ac's gonna die!

Alivenjeepin

Reaction score
Have spent 2 days researching this issue for my 04 Liberty. This and other linked threads were awesome, many thinks to you!! The actual photo (gijoe's), not the sketches, shows what I saw as the best solution and almost the one I followed. I used an 82 1/8" belt (couldn't find a 82 1/2" locally), and it was tight... but it fit. Also, I left the pulley on, but raised the compressor enough to give over a 1/2" of clearance between the belt and the bottom of the pulley.

I understand this is an older thread, but it's a common problem and one that it looks like every Liberty owner is going to face.

Edit... lifting the compressor is a very temporary fix. On bumpy roads I noticed belt wear from that pulley. Not difficult to remove it, so I did.

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My A/C clutch started smoking yesterday (while running the A/C)... turned the A/C off and it made it home, and hasn't smoked since but I'm sure it's on it's last legs.

Today I bought an 82 1/2" belt, no way it will fit based on the routing in the photo in the first post.

I rushed back to NAPA before they closed, they have other sizes, but they all cost more and I forgot my damn wallet at home! Grrrr.

So I will be back tomorrow morning, testing them out in the parking lot until I find one that fits!

Apparently the stock sizes are different, I was searching online and found:

2002-2003 Jeep Liberty SERPENTINE BELT -- 87.6 in.
2004-2006 Jeep Liberty SERPENTINE BELT -- 86.5 in.
2007-2009 Jeep Liberty SERPENTINE BELT -- 86.8 in.

Note, these are the stock sizes listed on www.jpartsonline.com, just to show there is a difference between model years.

I'm not sure why I need a longer one for my '05, but it is what it is :)

I will update with the results tomorrow!

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My A/C clutch started smoking yesterday (while running the A/C)... turned the A/C off and it made it home, and hasn't smoked since but I'm sure it's on it's last legs.

Today I bought an 82 1/2" belt, no way it will fit based on the routing in the photo in the first post.

I rushed back to NAPA before they closed, they have other sizes, but they all cost more and I forgot my damn wallet at home! Grrrr.

So I will be back tomorrow morning, testing them out in the parking lot until I find one that fits!

Apparently the stock sizes are different, I was searching online and found:

2002-2003 Jeep Liberty SERPENTINE BELT -- 87.6 in.
2004-2006 Jeep Liberty SERPENTINE BELT -- 86.5 in.
2007-2009 Jeep Liberty SERPENTINE BELT -- 86.8 in.

Note, these are the stock sizes listed on www.jpartsonline.com, just to show there is a difference between model years.

I'm not sure why I need a longer one for my '05, but it is what it is :)

I will update with the results tomorrow!

Good to know this for me. I like quickie fixes.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, that's WITH the compressor in the loop. It'd be something less without it.

Yes, just to be clear - the above measurements are the standard, stock belt in the standard belt path with the A/C compressor in the loop.

I am trying to determine the without-compressor length required for my '05.

It just occurred to me I could try running a piece of string around to get a ballpark measurement, might not be too accurate though.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my '05 the belt size which fit to bypass the A/C clutch is 83 1/8".

Which is pretty funny because the 82 1/2" belt cost me $37... this one was $96! :eek: Same brand (NAPA, made by Gates), same product line, same same same, except the extra 5/8" is worth $59. They blah blah blahed about different lengths and popularity of the size. Whatever, I didn't have time to shop around.

After a few hours of cursing and swearing and making my own puller tool, I got the freaking pulley off :) Shoulda tried some Redbull. Need to get me a snap ring wrench. I was able to shimmy the first one off with a couple of screwdrivers, but the second one is buried in there pretty good, but I didn't need to remove it right away anyways - just getting the pulley off was enough to clear the belt by about 1/2".

Belt routing - same as pic in OP, but I'll put it here in case that one disappears one day...

You must be registered for see images attach

Home-made pulley puller, worked like a champ after an hour or so of hammering, prying, cursing and swearing :) I thought it was going to keep bending but it got the pulley off.

You must be registered for see images attach

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! ;) What can I say... my car is at my mechanic's and the Jeep was undrivable so I was getting that damn pulley off one way or another, especially since my reefing and banging on it caused it to become jammed... no turning back!

I'm just glad I bought that tap and die set when it was on sale at Crappy Tire, so's I could do me some redneck engineerin'!