Can't open rear glass w/ gate handle!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I go to open the rear gate this morning and the latch that holds the rear glass closed wouldn't release. What the....?

After messing around with things for a while I figured out that the lift glass button on the key fob will release the rear glass but the switch inside the gate that releases the lift glass is dead. So the good news is the motor that controls the latch is fine but that little switch is dead.

That switch can be removed from the handle on the rear gate and then disconnected from the wire harness. Problem is I can't find a part number for that little switch (it's just a small momentary switch that is tripped when the gate handle is pulled.) Anyone have a source for those types of switches and the harness? I've tried all the Mopar online sites I know of, and the descriptions on RockAuto don't give me confidence that I'd be ordering the right one.

I may end up pulling a switch from a wrecked Libby if I can't find a new one but I'm worried that the donor switch will be corroded and fail just like mine did.

What say all you electrical gurus? :cheers:

Bob

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check stealership, 16 canadian pesos. I just ordered from them.

The junked yard ones are likely pretty decayed and not worth using as mine went and was relatively rust free.

No part number...

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call the dealer. There was a recall (RC-D16-04) issued in June of 2004 covering the rear hatch switch on 03-04 models. The issue was with water getting in there and the hatch opening on it's own, but the release switch is a recall item regardless.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check stealership, 16 canadian pesos. I just ordered from them.

The junked yard ones are likely pretty decayed and not worth using as mine went and was relatively rust free.

No part number...

Call the dealer. There was a recall (RC-D16-04) issued in June of 2004 covering the rear hatch switch on 03-04 models. The issue was with water getting in there and the hatch opening on it's own, but the release switch is a recall item regardless.

Thanks guys - off to the dealer on Christmas Eve I guess :waytogo:

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I go to the local dealer (and forget to mention the old recall on the rear gate handle/switch) and chat it up with the Parts Department dude...

He nods knowingly when I tell him my problem, he looks up the part number in his computer and announces that they have it in stock...

FOR 91 BUCKS!!! :icon_eek:

He tells me that even though it's only the switch that goes bad, Mopar only sells the entire handle - including switch! Can't just buy the switch and the short harness that's attached to it - have to buy the entire handle just to get the switch.

Oh well... :emotions33: Off to the salvage yards to find a rear gate on a Liberty and grab me a couple of handle switches.

Bob

theracerdude

Reaction score
ok so i had this same problem so i ripped out the wire intending to get a new one(never happened) but now about a year later the gate wont open at all t's stuck shut! the mechanism seems to be working fine. though the lock motor sounds like it's just about dead. does anyone know how to release the door? i've got it all pulled apart and can't see any manual release for the lock

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So to resurrect my old thread...

I'd ordered the switch back in January but we all know what kind of winter we had - and I didn't feel like messing with the switch since I could still open the rear glass with the key fobs till things warmed up. Since it was a beautiful day today - and I got the lawn mowed! - thought I'd get the switch replaced.

Up a couple of posts I mentioned that the dealership doesn't sell just the switch - they only sell the entire handle with the switch for $91. I thought I could do better than that so I searched for the switch and found it here from a company called Marquardt. They are a distributor for a European manufacturer. Bought the part for $7 - but the shipping from Europe was $24! Still just 1/3 the price of the replacement from the dealership.
You must be registered for see images

Anyway, the old switch became corroded - you can see the corrosion on the handle:

The new switch came with three wire leads while the original had only two. However, when I looked closely I could see that there was space for a third wire on the original switch casing so then it was easy to determine which two leads should be soldered to the clipped leads from the connector on the opposite end from the switch. Here's the new and old switches with the connector in the background:

Had to take the small metal actuator off the old and press into the new switch - since the new one is an exact replacement it slid right into place. All told took me about 45 minutes including the soldering and buttoning everything back up again. Now the handle opens the rear glass like it's supposed to :cheers:

Bob

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack an old thread but I thought I would share my fix to this. As I pulled the switch out, I saw a little bit of green staining from copper corrosion. The rubber "boot" over the wires crumbled off in two pieces and I could see that the orange wire had corroded off of the terminal. I was able to solder the wire onto the remaining nub of a terminal. I then put a glob of silicone and the boot pieces back together and reinstalled the switch. Works like a charm. It was about an hour to address and amazingly for me, no trips to the parts store.

Attachments

• IMGP3392.JPG
    IMGP3392.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP3395.JPG
    IMGP3395.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGP3396.JPG
    IMGP3396.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 20

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack an old thread but I thought I would share my fix to this. As I pulled the switch out, I saw a little bit of green staining from copper corrosion. The rubber "boot" over the wires crumbled off in two pieces and I could see that the orange wire had corroded off of the terminal. I was able to solder the wire onto the remaining nub of a terminal. I then put a glob of silicone and the boot pieces back together and reinstalled the switch. Works like a charm. It was about an hour to address and amazingly for me, no trips to the parts store.

Well done! :waytogo:

Bob

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI the micro switch is available at the dealer for a reasonable price(~20 canadian). Just bring them part # 05143017AA or "cenad160" they may have to bring it in but only takes a couple days.

Bert

Members online

No members online now.