Cannot get new blend door actuator to calibrate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I cannot get my new actuator to calibrate. Got it from the dealer, tried a new hvac header, nothing. Weird. If I turn it to one click in red, goes full hot. One click in the blue, goes full cold. However, if I put it all the way to the heat, it works fine, but once I go back to full cold, it won't change but if I put it three clicks before full cold, or even one click on cold, it works fine. I need help

Most of you may know, but it's an 02

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I cannot get my new actuator to calibrate. Got it from the dealer, tried a new hvac header, nothing. Weird. If I turn it to one click in red, goes full hot. One click in the blue, goes full cold. However, if I put it all the way to the heat, it works fine, but once I go back to full cold, it won't change but if I put it three clicks before full cold, or even one click on cold, it works fine. I need help

Most of you may know, but it's an 02

I presume you have the KJ Service manuals to help you with this major task?

If not, download the correct year KJ manual here:
Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

I will have a read through it to see if I can figure it out!

Edit to add: OK the 2002 KJ Service manual in the link above is totally useless when it comes to the Blend Door system!

If you download the 2006 KJ Service manual instead it gives a bit more information and warns you to first mark the position of the door on its spline so that you can re-fit it in the correct position. Hopefully the 2006 and 2002 systems work in the same manner!

So it would seem that you have to try different positions on the spline until you get the system to work...not really worth the waste of data to download the whole 2006 manual...just experiment with different positions on the spline!

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I presume you have the KJ Service manuals to help you with this major task?

If not, download the correct year KJ manual here:
Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

I will have a read through it to see if I can figure it out!

Edit to add: OK the 2002 KJ Service manual in the link above is totally useless when it comes to the Blend Door system!

If you download the 2006 KJ Service manual instead it gives a bit more information and warns you to first mark the position of the door on its spline so that you can re-fit it in the correct position. Hopefully the 2006 and 2002 systems work in the same manner!

So it would seem that you have to try different positions on the spline until you get the system to work...not really worth the waste of data to download the whole 2006 manual...just experiment with different positions on the spline!
There's only one way the Blend door can fit onto the actuator, I had to actually take the new one apart and turn the shaft so it would fit

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the initial problem with your blend door or actuator? When my actuator (motor) failed it would stick on cold and not move. I guess this made my swap easier than yours. At first I could get it to move slightly to warm but then would move back to cold when I shut off the ignition. I think the position defaults to cold every time you shut down. After I removed it I found it would only move smoothly in one direction (guessing that was allowing it to go cold). If I switched the polarity of the battery on the contacts it would move erratically if at all. I would have tried to move the doors to full cold and left the motor where it was.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-replace-hvac-blend-door-actuator-59206/

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the initial problem with your blend door or actuator? When my actuator (motor) failed it would stick on cold and not move. I guess this made my swap easier than yours. At first I could get it to move slightly to warm but then would move back to cold when I shut off the ignition. I think the position defaults to cold every time you shut down. After I removed it I found it would only move smoothly in one direction (guessing that was allowing it to go cold). If I switched the polarity of the battery on the contacts it would move erratically if at all. I would have tried to move the doors to full cold and left the motor where it was.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-replace-hvac-blend-door-actuator-59206/
Yeah door moved freely as well. Here's a video
https://youtu.be/oRUFrdZTR5k

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything anyone?

Jags

Reaction score
Hot/Cold Only

I had the exact same issue. Installed new actuator in my 2002 liberty. Only had Hot/Cold. Tried many times to run thru the calibration procedure in the FSM. Left it like that for a year as I didnt want to take dash apart again.Went to salvage yard. Paid 8$ (took part off myself). Installed and it works perfect. I did not tear dash apart the second time to install. I used a sawzall and repaired cut thru duct with gorilla tape. Everything works fine. I attached a pick of cut work. If anyone needs a part out of new one..Motor-Gear-Etc I will make a heck of a deal. The motor is what was out of my original one.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online