can I re-gear myself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly.. could I re-gear my axles to 4.10s myself or is it imperative a certified shop or whatever does it? local 4x4 shop wants close to $2k..

what all would I need to do this in my garage? parts wise and any special tools if necessary..

Thanks in advance, Chase weston

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever set up gears before? It can be done but you will need a 20ton(at least) press,some real good dial indicators,a good 1/2" torque wrench(needs to go to at least 350lbs-ft of torque),a very good 1/4" torque wrench,and the special 8.25 bearing adjuster tools.Of course you will need a manual for the specs and such for both axles.It will be time consuming if you have not done it before,expect at least 2-5 days since the front diff has to be completely removed(a big cost at a shop).

I do know how to set up gears,did my 4.10's(well the rear 8.25 gears and the front DTT) myself and have done other setups in axles from a D30 to a Rockwell 5ton axle and I will tell you I would rather go to a dentist and have a root canal done without any Novocain.There that much of a pain in the a$$ to do sometimes.It would probably be best to have a very experienced person do the setup in my opinion.

Oh and I paid to have my new axles setup,that's how much I hate doing them.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Gears for rear $120, about same for front,master install kit $78 for rear,close for front. As for install,look around,go to parts houses ask who they might recommend,look for the big a$$ mud truck around there ask who sat theirs up.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever set up gears before? It can be done but you will need a 20ton(at least) press,some real good dial indicators,a good 1/2" torque wrench(needs to go to at least 350lbs-ft of torque),a very good 1/4" torque wrench,and the special 8.25 bearing adjuster tools.Of course you will need a manual for the specs and such for both axles.It will be time consuming if you have not done it before,expect at least 2-5 days since the front diff has to be completely removed(a big cost at a shop).

I do know how to set up gears,did my 4.10's(well the rear 8.25 gears and the front DTT) myself and have done other setups in axles from a D30 to a Rockwell 5ton axle and I will tell you I would rather go to a dentist and have a root canal done without any Novocain.There that much of a pain in the a$$ to do sometimes.It would probably be best to have a very experienced person do the setup in my opinion.

Oh and I paid to have my new axles setup,that's how much I hate doing them.

well then.. looks like I'm not doing it myself ha ill just have to keep asking around.. I really don't want to spend $2k on just re gearing it. Seems I could spend that on such a better investment. idk ill have to get some quotes and see what kind of numbers local places wanna talk. Thanks troy and ridenby. both pretty much covered everything. :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gears for rear $120, about same for front,master install kit $78 for rear,close for front. As for install,look around,go to parts houses ask who they might recommend,look for the big a$$ mud truck around there ask who sat theirs up.
Cheapest I've seen 8.25 4.10's has been about $180 for a good set like Yukons.Your looking at about $200-$250 for the front set since they are very rare and only Dana/Spicer makes them.

Just remember that the front diff has to be completely removed to do a gear swap(or locker/LSD install) and that is about 6 hours(book time) which will add alot to the cost.The 8.25 does not need to be removed to do gears.Here the average for a gear install is about $300-$400 per axle if the axle does not need to be removed,more for adding a ARB since modification to the diff housing is needed.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheapest I've seen 8.25 4.10's has been about $180 for a good set like Yukons.Your looking at about $200-$250 for the front set since they are very rare and only Dana/Spicer makes them.

Just remember that the front diff has to be completely removed to do a gear swap(or locker/LSD install) and that is about 6 hours(book time) which will add alot to the cost.The 8.25 does not need to be removed to do gears.Here the average for a gear install is about $300-$400 per axle if the axle does not need to be removed,more for adding a ARB since modification to the diff housing is needed.

so do you think $2k is a bit high to re-gear? or pretty reasonable?

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah that is including everything.. dropping the jeep off and picking it up re-geared to 4.10s.. and ok Thanks man.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Check with this fellow for gears,install kits. Have bought several items from him.

ericautopart

Send a message via AIM to ericautopart

ericautopart is offline Report Post

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online