Camshaft position sensor error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepluvr

Reaction score
Hello yall. I am getting P0344 and P0016 codes on my 04 Jeep liberty with 3.7l engine. Have checked out wiring and all looks good. Also replaced the position
sensor to no avail. I am aware that the timing chain may have a bit of play but I don't feel enough to be causing issues with this. I have recently replaced the RH head and gaskets. Any ideas what may be the cause. Would like to try to tackle cheap things first then work my way up to the timing if that is indeed the issue. With both of these codes I figure they may have something in common that relates to both codes. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

justjeeps

Reaction score
Hello yall. I am getting P0344 and P0016 codes on my 04 Jeep liberty with 3.7l engine. Have checked out wiring and all looks good. Also replaced the position
sensor to no avail. I am aware that the timing chain may have a bit of play but I don't feel enough to be causing issues with this. I have recently replaced the RH head and gaskets. Any ideas what may be the cause. Would like to try to tackle cheap things first then work my way up to the timing if that is indeed the issue. With both of these codes I figure they may have something in common that relates to both codes. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

The only time I had to tow my old 03 liberty was when the c.p.s went out. I tried two from auto zone but ended up going to jeep for a real oem. Actually the OEM c.p.s was about the same price.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the timing is off.
I believe the right head has the cam position sensor, two things I think of with those code is the timing is slightly off, the other thing I wonder about is what year the head was for. The cam gear has a reluctor the sensor reads which changed about 2005 when Chrysler made changes to the computer. If you used the original cam timing chain gear it should be correct for that sensor and computer and that should mean the timing is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

justjeeps

Reaction score
"I have recently replaced the RH head and gaskets."

Curious did the error occur immediately after changing the head or did it develop shortly after?

Did your jeep start right up after the head swap?

Did you notice any issue while trying to start the first time, back fire, slow to start ect.

Does it RUN?

Can you here the miss while listening or does the error code just show up.

Not sure but perhaps a fuel injector could through the p code as well.

jeepluvr

Reaction score
simply awesome answer conundrum2006. you nailed it. I overlooked the obvious. the reluctor was indeed different and is likely the cause of my issues. THANKS for the help! It is GREATLY appreciated. Also really appreciate all the other comments. Your participation here is what makes this forum so awesome.

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
simply awesome answer conundrum2006. you nailed it. I overlooked the obvious. the reluctor was indeed different and is likely the cause of my issues. THANKS for the help! It is GREATLY appreciated. Also really appreciate all the other comments. Your participation here is what makes this forum so awesome.

Glad to help! I agree the people here are some of the best online. I first came here with a Commander with a 3.7 engine crud/sluge problem, asked around several jeep forums before figuring out the KJ has the same engine, this was the place with all the answers. It is a great community.

Out of curiosity was your engine running with the wrong cam reluctor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro