A/C problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I switch the control to A/C the air does not change to cold . The clutch on the compressor does not seem to engage . I checked the fuse under the hood . I also switched the relay that controls the a/c clutch with the hi/lo wiper relay . Is this as bad as I think ? compressor

Thank you

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would first try adding some freon??? R22?? Before considering a bad compressor.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Could be any number of things. Chances are there's a leak and the refrigerant (r134a) leaked out and there's a low pressure switch to disable the system to prevent damage. Need a 2 gauge manifold to get a good picture, don't just add stuff.

This is something that I personally think is worth taking to a shop, less expensive to get it done right.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple answer is it probably low ac freon, but if it's low it's leaking.

To sort it out right, or just begin to sort it you need to get an idea of if it's got any freon.
Ac work is a PITA, if your ac line is empty then it's open somewhere and you've got a lot of repairing to do to begin to recharge it.
Or a idiot kit from Walmart might get'er done.
Depends how DIY you are. A reasonable ac shop may be the a good idea to start with.

I'm repairing the ac on our commander now, it. There was a lot of extra work that in some cases was unnecessary to trouble shoot. Didn't take it to a shop cause the commander with rear ac has several intricacies that make it hard to diagnose. I've also got the tools to vacuum and recharge ac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daughter came home and said her liberty was blowing warm air .. since I know the history of hers I took a chance and bought the ac pro rig at Walmart. . 30 seconds and hers was fixed . Good as new . The other one I started this about is not . I hear a leak from somewhere around the driver front corner of the radiator support area . Can't feel it but leaks as quick as I pull the trigger. Any ideas?
Thank you

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be a condenser by the radiator, possibly a hole in one of the lines or inline dryer. Probably the condenser either rotted away or hit something to cause a leak .

On the commander dryer accumulator and lines clustered by the radiator, old XJ it was just the condenser up front.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AC condenser is in front of the radiator.
You'll have to use a UV dye to see if there are any leaks.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May already have UV dye from the factory.
However is it's loud enough leak he can hear it it should be a obvious whole or rotted area.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can hear it, put some dawn in water in a spray bottle and hit the area, bubbles will show where it is. Mine leaked in the middle of the compressor body.

Latest posts

Members online