Bulbs - 9007/HB5 and 9145

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wife's Silverstar Ultras finally had one burn out, lasted longer than the Silverstars I had before but still meh. I've been searching for a suitable replacement as well as for the fog lamps so what are the recommendations from the users here for a set of replacements?

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been very pleased with my sylvania silverstar zxe bulbs...still using factory fog bulbs though.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking into the ZXE's as an upgrade, seems some people are swapping to LED but with the added dissipating element and wiring seems you'd have to modify to get it to fit and then deal with potential cheap off-brand malfunctions.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZXE seems to be hit or miss depending on the vehicle in my experience with them
Had them in my older Pontiac and they were junk (in terms of light output), put them in my woman’s Corolla and it was night and day difference
One big issue is the gases and whatnot in them cause them to burnout faster.. they also claim to be as bright as HIDs which is a huge false claim because they aren’t even close to HIDs in any way

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped to direct fit led from jdm astar g2 series. Works fine for me

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The ZXE's are white & bright, but as mentioned, not HID bright.
They are a performance improvement over standard Sylvania bulbs.
The Hella bulbs are 10watts brighter I believe, but shorter life spans & hot.
I really do not know about LED for the KJ's, never investigated it.
If someone has a direct LED replacement for the 9007 high/low beam etc, let see a write up about it!

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had the money I would have tried the 8th gen but the g2 fit no issues at all. Just align the bulb as per instructions.

Only downside was when I’m idle for long periods of time the lights shut off due to the engine heat. I mean idle for 30 mins or longer. Happened once when I was waiting in line leaving a sabres a game and we didn’t move for 45 mins. Once there is air flow it’s good to go again.

The fog lights I ordered from the same place. They were $29 I think

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had the money I would have tried the 8th gen but the g2 fit no issues at all. Just align the bulb as per instructions.

Only downside was when I’m idle for long periods of time the lights shut off due to the engine heat. I mean idle for 30 mins or longer. Happened once when I was waiting in line leaving a sabres a game and we didn’t move for 45 mins. Once there is air flow it’s good to go again.

The fog lights I ordered from the same place. They were $29 I think

Just ordered, odd Amazon said they would not fit my Jeep but they are 9007. Seems like it may be worth it since they are the same price as a Silverstar Ultra but the lifespan of the SS is never that great.

I noticed they did have an older G1 with COB, this uses CSP, and then a newer version using AEC which I've never heard of, then the 8th gen which were $120. I'm not there yet, but will see how these perform before I swap out fog lamps in both our cars.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fog light wasn’t as fancy as the headlight.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LBFJX2O/ref=oh_aui_i_r_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But they do the job.

I’ll be adding a light bar for any further light needed while off road or night time backnroading

The 8th gen uses a led that mimics the exact placement of the oem halogen filament. The customer service was amazing at explaining all their products too

https://jdmastarblog.com/2017/07/21/which-way-should-the-chips-face-on-your-led-headlights/

Here is a link that will provide some insight on how to properly orient the
bulbs inside the housing. There is a set screw on the LED bulbs by the
chuck where the bulb mounts. Use the hex key provided to loosen up the
screw and rotate the bulb to obtain a proper orientation. For G2's the low
beam chips should be facing diagonally upward to face at 2 o clock and 11 o
clock. The high beam chip should face at a 6 o clock position.

Last edited:

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put a 9005 bulb in your fog lights. Just need to trim a small plastic tab. 9145 is a 35w bulb and the 9005 is a 55w.

If you're running anything over 55w I would run a relay. I've had good luck with ddm tunings premium relays.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s good to know Maybe I can get a g2 9005 in there now....
thanks for tip

My other car uses a 880 in the fog it’s a pita to cross fit another bulb

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the lights today wow! They were already oriented at 2 and 11 with the high beam at 6 o’clock. It took a little work to get the retainer ring over them I pinched a couple of tabs down on the ring but it slipped on and they are in tight.

Easy install I made it quicker by removing the air box and fuse box for reach.

However I was also doing an oil change and noticed a good amount of residue around the seal so it’s oil pan time. Ordered the pan, seal, and new plug for $100 total all Mopar parts. Hopefully that will solve my oil issue we shall see. For now my wife ha some seriously good lighting.

You must be registered for see images attach

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some night driving shots.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look great
I noticed your fog lights look different then mine so you may want to disregard my one post. They may be the wrong bulbs

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put a 9005 bulb in your fog lights. Just need to trim a small plastic tab. 9145 is a 35w bulb and the 9005 is a 55w.

If you're running anything over 55w I would run a relay. I've had good luck with ddm tunings premium relays.

This. Been running this setup for 10 years, on second replacements. Spoils me. I can’t imagine having a better setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This. Been running this setup for 10 years, on second replacements. Spoils me. I can’t imagine having a better setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree as well. I run the same setup and it is a huge improvement over the stock bulb.

For the back roads and I have a 13k lumen light bar, spot beam, mounted to the bumper, plenty of light when everything is on.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that will work with the fog lights that are in the bumper and the ones located in the grill?

Latest posts

Members online