Broken JBA Coilover & JBA Lift Pricing Rip-Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add this to the list of parts I've broken.

You must be registered for see images attach

I placed an order for the replacement strut cylinder. If they're in stock and ship out tomorrow I should have it on Tuesday.

Haven't had it for a year. No idea when it happened. I went wheeling during the snow storm Thursday but it wasn't broken driving home. Yesterday my gf said it was making a squeeking noise (spring rubbing) driving home from work. Figured it was just one of the bushings from the cold/salt. Drove it 10 miles to replace my friends axle shaft in his wrangler and on the way home I stopped for gas and looked because I was hearing a clunk. Luckily made it home fine. Was waiting for the spring to pop out the whole drive home.

What I don't understand is the JBA coilovers cost $1559 for a pair. If the strut cylinders costs $468/pair and the springs cost $195/pair that leaves $896 for the "clevis" and "strut mount". Why the f##k does it cost $896 for that. I noticed JBA does this with the lifts too.

The bronze 4" package is $2813.47 but if you buy everything in the kit separately it comes to $2229.56. I noticed this when I bought my lift and didn't fall for the rip-off that the lift package is.

I am not knocking the build quality. I am VERY rough on the Liberty. Just saying his pricing is total bullcrap and makes no sense. Maybe I have some wrong information or glossed over something and someone can correct me.

Last edited:

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know how the new replacement cylinder is as I just blew the seal out on mine and JBA quoted $250 a cylinder to rebuild my old ones. I’ve noticed the difference in pricing as well but jut figured they had some reason for it or maybe something I was missing.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know how the new replacement cylinder is as I just blew the seal out on mine and JBA quoted $250 a cylinder to rebuild my old ones. I’ve noticed the difference in pricing as well but jut figured they had some reason for it or maybe something I was missing.

I would be pissed they want that much because the page says "Buy it one time for the life of your Jeep Liberty, JBA will rebuild it!!". To me that reads like a free rebuild if it fails under normal use.

It should at least be "Buy it one time for the life of your Jeep Liberty, JBA will rebuild it*!!

* Rebuild fee of $250

I will keep you updated on how long it takes to get in and what the process is like for swapping it out. Took over 30 days to get my lift in from when i ordered it, but in fairness my 6" Full-Traction long arm 4 link lift kit for my XJ is at 42 days and hasn't even shipped yet.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like a Bilstein quality issue, never have had good luck with Bilsteins.

Not sure what to think of the pricing differences...

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be pissed if I coughed up that kind of coin for a 15 year old vehicle only to have those parts fail within a year or so.

I figured the pricing is expensive because the Liberty crowd isn’t as large as the other jeeps, so custom parts will demand a higher price tag.
However - I sourced all my OME springs and shocks and every bushing along the way then ordered JBA top plates , clevis spacers and control arms FOR less then what that cost you.

Right now the aftermarket source the Liberty seems to be one person/company....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bet you haven't even talked to Marlin yet have you??
Maybe talk to him and see what he says before grumbling all day about it.
Just my 2 cents, I never ***** until I talk to the builder/ owner of the company etc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be pissed if I coughed up that kind of coin for a 15 year old vehicle only to have those parts fail within a year or so.

I figured the pricing is expensive because the Liberty crowd isn’t as large as the other jeeps, so custom parts will demand a higher price tag.
However - I sourced all my OME springs and shocks and every bushing along the way then ordered JBA top plates , clevis spacers and control arms FOR less then what that cost you.

Right now the aftermarket source the Liberty seems to be one person/company....

You do know he has the adjustable coilovers and you just have the OME springs etc , Right?
Little difference

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Between the two of mine I have over 125,000 miles on them, no issues
Plus I know if I did, first call would be to Marlin.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do know he has the adjustable coilovers and you just have the OME springs etc , Right?
Little difference

I know. I’m not bagging on JBA at all. My comment was about price difference you pay for the adjustability vs using his spacers or plates. I know first hand the pain it becomes the adjusting those just right in all 4 corners then add when it’s used in salt, mud and dirt for years.

What I was saying was about pricing and quality. People reporting them leaking and breaking prematurely.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know. I’m not bagging on JBA at all. My comment was about price difference you pay for the adjustability vs using his spacers or plates. I know first hand the pain it becomes the adjusting those just right in all 4 corners then add when it’s used in salt, mud and dirt for years.

What I was saying was about pricing and quality. People reporting them leaking and breaking prematurely.

Not a pain at all , I can install a full set , adjust them etc in shorter time than I can install a full OME spring lift, its all very easy really
Mine on the 04 went through several years of mud/ salt etc and still easily adjusted
The 03s going on the 3rd year and can adjust by hand yet , of course I do what you are suppose to do, clean often and spray them down
As far as leaking and breaking prematurely, been very few actually ( I know the numbers first hand ) and like anything else if there is a man made item someone will figure out how to destroy it ! LOL
So not really getting your point at all, sorry.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mud and/or general poor maintenance(lack of proper washing is neglect) will cause any and all seals in any vehicle to fail prematurely.

That is a known fact and has been for almost 100 years.

Don't care if it's a $1000 seal or $5 seal,they all will fail early when mud is introduced.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll stick with my Gabriel Ultra's and H&R Springs no matter what others may think about them.

"Gabriel products are warranted against defects and wear out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such original purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed."

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I'll stick with my Gabriel Ultra's and H&R Springs no matter what others may think about them.

"Gabriel products are warranted against defects and wear out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such original purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed."

So yes, use it as a car and you'll be fine

Last edited:

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not complaining about it blowing out the seal as far as I know they have lived a very good life. I do wash them regularly though and take care of my stuff. I just didn’t understand why the rebuild cost more than just buying a whole new cylinder. Again not unhappy at all with the product I love the ride and ease of the coilovers.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacement shipped today.

No I haven't contacted Marlin because I wasn't expecting this to be covered under warranty.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yes, use it as a car and you'll be fine

I love my funny looking Liberty, but I sure didn't buy it for serious off-roading.

No disrespect to anyone here or to Liberty's in general, but my old "bullet proof" FJ40's would drag pretty much any Liberty down the road with little effort(as things broke and fell off the Liberty).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I love my funny looking Liberty, but I sure didn't buy it for serious off-roading.

No disrespect to anyone here or to Liberty's in general, but my old "bullet proof" FJ40's would drag pretty much any Liberty down the road with little effort(as things broke and fell off the Liberty).

Worked on plenty of " bullet proof ????" FJ40s of guys who I used to wheel with. Used to fun waiting on them to keep up, stopping for gas all the time , they finally got smart and joined us in Jeeps. :happy175:
But if you like slow, very rough ride and drinking lots of gas a FJ40 is a good choice for sure. :gr_grin:
They do have a following that's for sure but most are not DDs, just toys anymore .

Latest posts

Members online