blown head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96superjet

Reaction score
my wife has an 04 liberty 3.7l. last thursday she said she hit a pot hole rather hard, when she got home she could smell antifreeze and it was bubbling out the back of the resevoir. the heater quit blowing hot air, i have concerns that the coolant isnt circulating properly but waterpump isnt making noises or leaking, i put new coolant to the cold fill line, i started it opened up the bleeder screw, one time there was coolant coming out of it and the other time i tried was just steam. ive done some research on it so i went and purchased a engine block leak tester(chemical test) first try it turned yellow, is this a 100% sure sign there is a blown head gasket. there is a small hairline crack in top of radiator is it possible its getting air into the system this way, or sucking exhaust fumes. and if it is a blown head gasket is it driveable till i can get the new gasket and special tools to do it. thanks in advance.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any smoke from the tail pipe?
check the oil is it bubbly?

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most sure sign of a blown head gasket is oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. Coolant in the oil will turn the oil into something that looks like a McDonald's Chocolate Milkshake.

If the gasket is blown, driving the vehicle for any length of time can lead to further engine damage. Especially if coolant is getting into the oil.

If it was overheated, there is a good chance that the heads have warped, causing the head gasket to blow. So just replacing the gasket won't fix the issue, you'll need to get the heads machined so that the mating surfaces are flat again.

I'm not sure how reliable those chemical tests are, I've never used one. I always thought the only reliable test was a leakdown test?

96superjet

Reaction score
thanks oil looks normal, smoke is a lil white but it is cold here today, Its got a rotten egg smell while its running at idle now.

96superjet

Reaction score
So the check engine light on and flashing looked it up saying missfiring pulled plugs out got to rear plug passenger side very wet smelled like coolant so probably head gasket.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went and purchased a engine block leak tester(chemical test) first try it turned yellow, is this a 100% sure sign there is a blown head gasket.

The test liquid turning yellow means there's combustion gases in the coolant, meaning a blown head gasket. You can have a blown gasket without getting coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7KVQq9vKA

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the check engine light on and flashing looked it up saying missfiring pulled plugs out got to rear plug passenger side very wet smelled like coolant so probably head gasket.

Yeah. Probably overheated and warped the head. You'll want to get them checked and possibly machined. I would stop driving it until it's fixed.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The test liquid turning yellow means there's combustion gases in the coolant, meaning a blown head gasket. You can have a blown gasket without getting coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7KVQq9vKA

X2 All depends on where it fails.

Mine unfortunately did go into the oil. You got a classic smoker. Coolant to combustion chamber compromised. Whoever has the greatest pressure wins. Make sure the head isn't cracked if you do pull it and have it checked.

You don't want to be driving that one around. You'll just make a mess out of the cats too.