Blower resistor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been chasing this since last winter and finally had a chance yesterday to dig around under the dash. Seems like there is no air flow on "1" all the other fan speeds are fine. Can't feel any airflow or hear it when on lowest setting. Could it be my blower resistor? I've heard stories of only having the highest setting but I've got all but "1". :shrug:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep it is most likely the blower motor resistor. I had the exact same issue. I picked up a new one for an 05-06 Chrysler Sebring. It is a much beefier part. You can easily see the difference between the two when you have them side by side. It is pretty easy to change out the part as well.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep it is most likely the blower motor resistor. I had the exact same issue. I picked up a new one for an 05-06 Chrysler Sebring. It is a much beefier part. You can easily see the difference between the two when you have them side by side. It is pretty easy to change out the part as well.

Thanks for the reply. I had a hunch, but seemed weird that all other speeds worked for almost a year. The Sebring replacement sounds familiar and thanks to your reply I have the year to use. I found it behind the glovebox and appears to be original style based on the replacement images I've seen. :favorites13:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hijack OP's thread but I've noticed a 1-2 second delay after turning the knob to any setting from the off position.
Is this typical or is this a sign of impending failure?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea on impending failure.. I don't think my Knob has ever been turned off ! :icon_lol:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the Sebring part. Got a Chinese one from Rockauto and it's been working like a charm so far :)

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet its the resistor, Mine went but only left me with 4 but I have heard of all different settings, Cheap and easy fix though.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are different spec resistors in that resistor pack for creating each fan speed. Any or all of them can go leaving you with any combo of remaining speed/s.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If buying the Sebring resistor, be sure to look at pictures of what you're getting before you buy.
The 05-06 model mentioned by wheeee32 will not work on your 02, the shape of it and plug style is different. You want the 04 and older style.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If buying the Sebring resistor, be sure to look at pictures of what you're getting before you buy.
The 05-06 model mentioned by wheeee32 will not work on your 02, the shape of it and plug style is different. You want the 04 and older style.

Really? That was one part I figured wasn't any different on the year models.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

No worries. Haven't ordered one yet. Funny though, I actually looked up mine (even though I looked at it behind the glovebox the other day) and then looked up the 05-06 Sebring and saw the different versions on RockAuto. I'm thinking the Standard Motor Product RU347 is the right design. Looks like the resistor for the convertible with manual temp control is the one (2001-2005). Anyone think this looks like the one?

Otherwise I may just wait until this weekend when I can pull mine to see the back of it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The backs on these were completely different.

Here is what the one I replaced looked like:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is what I replaced it with:

You must be registered for see images attach

You're just looking for the plug and the pins to be the same.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent. That's the one I'm about to order. The pin side and the mounting screw holes are an exact match to what is in it.

Thanks for all the help!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the replacement today. Identical to the one used above by dude1116. Probably won't get to it until Saturday. Been cold enough to enjoy the setting at 2.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily they are easy to swap out in a matter of minutes. I had to replace the one in my 03 a year or two ago.. got the rockauto part and its been solid since.

Delays in the climate control after switching it from OFF, might be attributable to the vacuum controls having to build up vacuum and/or switch over... doesnt sound too abnormal.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yippee! Thanks everyone! Number 1 setting works again. :party36:

Took all of 10 minutes to swap. 8 minutes of that was looking for an 8mm socket! Gotta reorganize my collection.

Always amazed at how awesome the glove box design is. Never had a vehicle that made it so easy to remove. Said hello to the super secret owners manual hiding in it's covert location. :secret:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the 4th position doesn't work on your fan, it's not the resistor. Hi goes straight to the motor; the resistor drops the voltage for the 3 lower speeds.

Latest posts